Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
US
State
Kentucky
City
Small Town in Western KY
Do any of you go to the ALS clinics at either hospital? Nashville is alittle over 2 hour drive for me. Cape Girardeau is alittle over 1 hour drive.
I am using sick days I have from my job to keep my health insurance as long as I can. Vanderbilt is in my health insurance network. St. Francis Medical Center is not.
I applied for SS Disability last week and assuming I get approved I can get Medicare also?
Can I keep my Health Insurance and also have Medicare?
I ask people I know that have Medicare what they think about it. Its about half & half so far. Half say its really great. Half say it doesnt pay much.
Thank you for any thoughts on this

Re: Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN & St. Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau, MO

I currently have Medicare plus I have my old insurance -- military spouse -- as my secondary. Between the two of them I have had to pay nothing from my own pocket. I just got a powered chair that is customized for me. Total cost I have been told is $48,000! I can't imagine how people with out insurance can afford this disease.

Re: Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN & St. Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau, MO

Thank you Ladyinn. I have just started reading up on Medicare. I have been reading the Medicare made easy information you can find on the internet. Made easy for who I dont know. I understand some of it but ALOT is Greek to me. I have figured out that my choice with Medicare depends on where I live too. My zip code is not available for one of the Medicare options. Advantage (I think thats what it was). The info I have read also stresses to make choices on some of the parts immediately when you do become elligible or the premiums will be higher if you wait.
I realize we all want as little coming out of our pocket as possible.
Thats why I was wanting some thoughts on what works best for everyone that has a job provided or private health insurance in addition to Medicare.

I also know each and every one of us is making different choices about Medicare/private health insurance,etc depending on what financial situation each of us currently live with.
I guess I am afraid I will REALLY mess up and not sign up for something when I should OR sign up for the wrong thing.
Thank you all again for any thoughts on this :)

I would recommend anyone to carry Medicare even if you have a good insurance. The only thing medicare didn't pay for was my shower chair and now I don't use it I use my potty chair.

As infrequently as you will be going to the clinic, I would choose Vanderbilt since it is in your plan and is a fantastic facility. As others have said, keep your private health insurance as long as you can. Be sure you get all equipment you can while you have both, too. Do you have long term disability available through your job? If you do, chances are you can still keep your private health insurance, too. My husband had private and medicare, as well as VA benefits. The only out of pocket expense we had were the private health insurance premiums.

Cathy, welcome. I go to Vanderbilt once every three months it is in excellent clinic. Sorry you have to be here.

Thank you very much caldona, Miss & ladyrider. Since I am so new to all this I welcome ANY thoughts about all the ins & outs of health insurance/Medicare .
I have pretty much decided to keep my job health insurance as long as I can still pay the premiums. After my sick days run out it will jump from $62/month to $332/month. IF I get approved for disability/retirement through my job I am hoping it will be enough to pay my monthly premium.
Thank you also for your thoughts on Vanderbilt clinic. I have only been to Vandy twice so far. I was referred to Vandy by my local neuro after he did an EMG & other tests on me & suspected ALS but he wanted a second opinion. I saw Dr. Donofrio at Vandy in Dec 2011. He looked at paperwork my local neuro had sent and said he was pretty sure I had ALS. He had me get blood drawn & scheduled me for another EMG he would do in January 2012. January 2012 is when he said he was sure I had ALS.
I was thrilled to find this super wonderful site filled with such helpful people.
At least we are not alone with ALS since each of us knows what we are going through.

Thank you all very much for the info. I am thinking at this point I will try & keep my job health insurance as long as I can afford to pay it. Hopefully I will get approved for SS Disability & Medicare soon. I probably will go to Vandys clinic when I do go.

We have been with Vanderbilt since diagnosis in June 2010. We can't say enough good about them. Our neuro there is Amanda Peltier, M.D. We love her and everyone there. We drive 7 hours to the Vandy Clinic.

Oooo Meeee....7 hour drive for you and here I was whining about alittle over 2 hour drive for me to Vandy :) I have kind of noticed several PALS go to an ALS clinic every 3 months. Is every 3 months the normal appointment to clinics?

Yes. At least at Vanderbilt it is every 3 months. Clinic there is the first Friday of every month.

We meet every three months for Clinic in Augusta, GA. We can call or e-mail if something comes up in between clinics that can't be addressed by my local GP.

Our appointments at Darthmouth Hitchcock Med . ctr . in Hanover N . H . were once a month . Our support group would meet one hour before our clinical meeting .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back