11/2005
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
I just sent one of my caregivers home.

She was preparing my breakfast and it sounded like she was coughing up a lung.

I kept asking her if she was sick but she kept insisting that it was only allergies. However she had had a phlegmy productive cough.

My FVC is about 30% and a bad chest cold could be fatal. So I asked her to please leave. She was indignant and I am left a bit stranded but I couldn't take the risk.

I know allergies cause congestion, runny nose, sneezing and maybe a sore throat. But I've never heard of allergies alone causing a phlegmy cough.

I wouldn't take the chance either way. You did the smart thing.

I have coughed with my allergies for many years. And sneeze. BUT, I wouldn't have taken that chance either and sent her home. She should understand your concern.

You have to be diligent with issues like this You did the right thing. Nobody was allowed in our house if they were sick or had been around anybody that was sick. And everybody had to use a hand disinfectant which was kept right by the front door. We managed to keep colds away from Bob very well this way.

People cough especially when their allergies cause asthma. Lactose allergies can cause increased phlegm. But absolutely never take a chance. People cough.....out the door till it's gone. Well done

Anyway you look at it, she'd be spewing germs, allergies or not! And how can she know for sure the stuff in her lungs isn't infected? Sinus infections can result from allergies and that can lead to lung infection.

I'd have booted her too!

Boot her or make her wear a mask if you really need her.

AL.

Terry's CNA always wore a mask if she was coughing. She suffered from chronic bronchitis which is not contagious, but better safe than sorry.

Richard allergies can cause a cough, but I agree with Al about making someone who is coughing wear a mask. Like CJ says allergies can cause infected sinuses which can be bacterial and air borne. You did the right thing.
Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back