Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
On
City
Toronto
Thank you to all who contributed to my previous thread. This thread is pretty much just curiosity on my part.

While conducting some searches online with regards to my "atrophy/injury" concerns, I bumped into some information on various types of focal muscular atrophy causes such as LMN pathologies, infections, trauma and entrapments to name a few. What caught my attention and sparked my curiosity was the mention of "Anterior horn cell diseases" such as Monomelic Amyotrophy and how they can cause significant wasting of a limb, but patients may have little to no weakness. How is this possible in this particular disease where as in ALS significant wasting of a limb (even a tiny bit of wasting) would causes debilitating weakness? Is it simply because Motor neurons are not destroyed in such diseases even though the atrophy is very real? Your knowledge in this topic is very welcome folks. Thanks.

That is way over my caregiver's knowledge base. Good luck with finding answers!

Peace,

That is way over my caregiver's knowledge base. Good luck with finding answers!

Peace,

:smile: Thanks your the honest reply.

Maybe it seems like a silly question, but I guess I was intrigued when I read that.

I don't know the answer either, but I can tell you that anterior horn cells are the same as lower motor neurons. Monomelic amyotrophy is a disease of the lower motor neurons and does from what I have read usually present with weakness. I don't know how you would have atrophy without weakness, unless maybe it was a muscle which the person doesn't use much so he didn't notice the weakness.

I don't know the answer either, but I can tell you that anterior horn cells are the same as lower motor neurons. Monomelic amyotrophy is a disease of the lower motor neurons and does from what I have read usually present with weakness. I don't know how you would have atrophy without weakness, unless maybe it was a muscle which the person doesn't use much so he didn't notice the weakness.

Yes, that's what baffled me. Maybe the article was just inaccurate...Thank you for your input though! Appreciate it.

I have been diagnosed with Monomelic Amyotrophy, my lower left leg has atrophy and a dirty emg, I was originally diagnosed with ALS. My left foot and left big toe are weak, and most of my calf muscle is gone. I knew my left toe was weak but did not know about my left foot, this was clinically discovered. I think other muscles have been compensating for the atrophied ones, so I was able to do everything as before just not as fast, I just thought I was getting older. I am 45 years old and looking back I think I have been having symptoms for the last ten years.

Tom,
Can you describe how a weak foot actually behaves? I know you said it was clinically determined/discovered that your foot was weak; but how did your doctor decide that? A drop foot is because of weakness in the shins, right? But what does a weak foot itself do? I ask because I have a foot demonstrating some lovely new developments, one of which is walking on its outer side, and also because the arch is gone.

Latin, sorry to impose on your thread.

Lydia

Tom--I am interested in this, too, because I have similar situation as Lydia and have fallen a few times in recent months because my ankles are giving out and my feet are turning in at the ankle, causing a flat foot effect.

Sandra

About four years ago I noticed I was not able to lift my left big toe, I was able to push it down. When it comes to lifting my left big toe is so weak it feels like it is paralyzed. I never paid much attention to this until two years ago during a physical the calf atrophy and my weak left foot was discovered. The force I have when pulling my foot up is about 20% of what I have on the right foot. Pushing down is still pretty strong, must be different muscles. I also noticed I was walking on the outside of my foot and the arch was becoming extremely high, pulling my foot, hence shrinking it. Looking back I had these symptoms for the last ten years including the occasional rolling of my ankle. I would like to add, especially since there is alot of talk about emg's lately on this forum, that my emg was dirty from the start.

Not a problem Lydia. Discussions that can be beneficial are always welcome, in my opinion.

Thanks Tom,

Even though I worry about the havoc that discussions of weak or paralyzed toes can bring to the forum ;).

I just saw pictures of feet where the arches were becoming very high, that looks painful!

It is not too bad, I wear orthotics to help support my arch. Early on I was tested for CMT since my foot resembles that of a CMT'er, but my emg just doesn't support this, it is a pure lower motor neuron problem. It is important to point out I have a dirty emg's and a paralyzed toe, but still no ALS.

Last edited:
Hi KansasTom--

have your doctors given you any clue as to what you might have? also, do you have twitching in your feet, ankle area?

In addition to the ankle turning in, I am noticing twitching in one foot and behind the ankle. I am wondering if people experienced ankle weakness prior to developing a drop foot.

I am worried about that because I stumble alot on uneven surfaces and I have fallen a couple of times recently. It's also hard for me to keep my foot in the lifted position on long drives, but I am able to lift my foot still. Back to the neuro for follow-up in June.

thanks-

Sandra

Alot of things could cause my symptoms, it was the emg that cleared alot up for me. Yes, I have the occassional twitch, pretty much every where below my waist and even sometimes in my back. I have been officially diagnosed with Monomelic Amyotrophy, so far it looks like that is what I have since it has been two years since my original diagnosis of ALS and I have had no progression. I want to add that I also have a couple of herniated discs in the lumbar region which could also be causeing some of my symptoms, who knows. The key is the emg, if you suspect something is wrong get the emg.

Hi Everyone,

Kansastom? May I ask what was it besides the weak toe that your Dr Dx you origionally with als?
BTW, Im glad to hear that DX was changed!

I posted awhile back & although everyone here hates me because Im worried, Im so sad & can not stop worrying. :(

I cant move my toe at all. Its just paralyzed. It moves ever so slightly if I try reaaaly hard. I saw a Als Dr a few months ago and he did a very quick emg. He said he doesnt believe it is als but I feel like the emg wasnt thorough?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back