Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Miami
Hello, first of all I want to say thank you for any help I will get and my prayers go out to anybody facing this and I'm sorry for the length of this post.

I read the sticky and I only posted because I have had twitches and a hyperreflexive left knee. to be honest I don't think I have ALS, but of course I worry still. I would just like some insight from people know about this.

I am very young, 20 year old male, and I have always been healthy. 1 month ago after playing basketball my left knee twitched an entire day. The next day the twitching was gone but the knee felt ruberry and weak. This is the same knee with the hyperreflexia

That lasted a full week and then went away. I then had some pains in both my hands at the base of the thumb and on the top of my hand that went away after a couple days.

I then had a lump feeling in my throat but only when I swallow saliva and not foods or liquids. This feeling comes and goes and sometimes I don't feel it for days. I think it's called "globus sensation".

My weak knee feeling has returned now but I have never been actually weak. I run everyday at the gym without any problem except maybe some tightness in my left calf but not enough to make me stop. I lift weights without any issues. I am very active and I don't think I have signs of atrophy

I twitch in many different places but it's never constant. I can go hours without feeling a twitch and then suddenly I will feel a couple twitches that last 5-10 seconds. These twitches happen only at rest and can be stopped if I move the muscle. They happen in my left knee, left arm, left buttock, right leg, right elbow, once in my eyelid and even in the stomach area.

My left hand also has a slight tremor that is noticeable on some days and not so noticeable other days. I think I sound more like BFS (Benign Facsiculation Syndrome) but I would like to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

It has only been a month and even though I can run and lift weights easily I am worried that maybe over time my symptoms will worsen.

But I also tell myself that even after a month there can be no way that I can still do the physical activity I do so easily, please give me insight.

Nope.

ALS symptoms don't "go away" as yours do.

MAVC, sounds like you have a normal 20-year-old body, doing normal stuff. Maybe a doctor might recommend vitamins or something minor like that, but I don't see any disease in you at all.

People twitch for many reasons that don't mean anything. Some people are naturally hyper-reflexive. Some stressors, like moving away to school or getting a new girlfriend can cause a lumpy throat, abdominal spasms, and pains here and there.

If you're worried, see a GP medical doctor. But frankly, I think that, at your age, it's best not to think of yourself as a "patient" with abnormal things going on. Attitude is everything.

If I could be 20 again, I'd know never to worry, and always to enjoy. :)

Nothing you describe sounds like ALS. I'm happy for you. Work with your doctor and check out your vitamins.

to be honest I don't think I have ALS, but of course I worry still.

You are totally correct - you don't show any early ALS symptoms.

That's great news, you should stay off this site now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back