Not open for further replies.

tatsu15

Country
US
State
Hawaii
City
Honolulu
why are my lips feel like they are vibrating after I eat or drink and please describe what delayed swallowing is exactly?

I think I have it... sometimes i feel like I can't swallow when I want to. Can fatigue cause this? I'm really scared.

Hi Tatsu15,

I think you need to see a doctor with those symptoms !

Glen

I worked with my auntie from October 08 to April 09 until I couldn't do it anymore. She had swallowing problems as well, the only thing I could do to her, to help, was just get her to relax her muscles, if you panic because you can't swallow it may cause you to choke, another thing is do not be rushed while eating, it's very bad to rush, take the time to chew your food as well as you can, before swallowing it. Stay relaxed. He lips also felt funny, she thought that there was something on her lips all the time and demanded that I wipe them off for her every few minutes, it's normal but yes go see a doctor if you are concerned.

Tatsu ... delayed swallowing is just what it sounds like. You take a sip of liquid or spoonful of pudding, etc., and for however many seconds ... sometimes quite a long time .... you can't force yourself to swallow. The substance just sits in your mouth.

I have never heard of "vibrations" or tingling in the lips as a symptom of ALS. Usually that kind of sensation points AWAY from ALS. But if these symptoms continue to bother you, I agree with Glen and Seraphine, check with your doctor.

Hello

Thank you for all your responses. I just emailed my doctor today about these symptoms and awaiting for what her response is. I do have some mild indigestion heartburn at times too.

BethU... did your delayed swallowing come and go? Were they subtle in the beginning?

Mine is so subtle and comes and go that I'm not even sure if it's even delayed swallowing or just the fact that I am so tired or so aware of when I'm swallowing... that I cause the delayed swallowing myself. That is why I asked what is delayed swallowing exactly. I don't choke or anything and I can drink really fast.

I got the lip vibrating sensation during the second pregnancy and still hasn't gone away.

My EMG and nerve tests on my hands and arms were normal.

Tatsu ... it was all very subtle at first, and I actually can't remember what the sequence was. The first problem was chewing and swallowing solids. Then that became easier and I started having problems with liquids, but can't remember in what way. Probably choking and aspirating and/or delayed swallowing?

I have different problems with different food consistencies. With liquids, it can be the liquid squirting out of my mouth as soon as I sip it. Or delayed swallowing. With puddings and yogurt, it is delayed swallowing and regurgitation .... stuff won't go to my stomach. I swallow, and it comes back up into my mouth instantly, so it can take a dozen swallows to get something down, and at any point I can choke or aspirate.

It is not a hard and fast rule, so I guess it "comes and goes." I never know if I will be able to swallow something at any given moment. Sometimes I can without too much difficulty. That's rare, though. Much more often, I can't.

Hope this helps.

Thank you BethU... it's very helpful. I don't mean to bother but I have alot more questions if you don't mind.

1. How long did your symptoms last before you got diagnosis?

2. What was your diagnosis?

3. Do they have specific tests to determine if you have delayed swallowing?

4. Did you experience mild heartburn and indigestion?

5. Does als run in your family?

6. Did you have a clean emg?

7. How do they determine bulbar?

8. How do ppl diagnosed with als use the computer?

I hope you don't mind answering these questions. I really don't think anything is srsly wrong with me. Just so much stress and lack of sleep since having 2 babies at one time. I just need some answers and I am planning to move on with my life and enjoying my children. I plan on deleting this account soon so I can actually really move on with my life. But I really do appreciate all the answers! And I am in awe of how courageous many of you are.

Tatsu, I'll try to answer them all...

1) diagnosed 2 years after start of symptoms.

2) diagnosed bulbar onset ALS

3) No specific tests for delayed swallowing, but did have a couple barium swallow tests, which showed I was "almost" aspirating on each swallow.

4) No heartburn and indigestion since I quit smoking 20 years ago.

5) No ALS in family.

6) I had a clean, partial EMG in private neuro's office. He did not check my tongue; bulbar symptoms were all I was aware of at that point. About 8 months later, had a full (and dirty) EMG.

7) Bulbar is unmistakable: Slurred speech, problems swallowing. I had gone to a speech therapist for a year.

8) Most people with ALS use the computers like anybody else. When the hands become affected, there are devices that allow you to use eye-gaze technology to "type." That is, people can look at an alphabet screen and focus on a letter, and a special camera identifies the letter or phrase. Slow ... but it is a life-saver when we need it.

Did I pass the test? :lol:

Now, go and enjoy life !

Professor Zaphoon (PZ) gives Beth an A+ on her test question answer.

PZ

Yes you pass with flying colors =)

Thank you for all of your input. I really do appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back