Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
new york
City
buffalo
About a week ago i started getting stiff hands, muscle twitching, sore throat, sore legs. I'm scared i have ALS. Also does it progress that fast in a week?

and also shortness of breath

The incidence of ALS is roughly 2 in every 100,000 . . . and of that . . . only 5% are diagnosed prior to the age of 30 . . . and the further away from 30 you are, the more diminished your chances.

So let's do some numbers:

2/100,000 is 0.002% chance (which is about the same chances of getting hit by lightning according to the Red Cross).

Now let's take your age into consideration. Again, only 5% are diagnosed prior to age 30, so to get that percentage, simply take 0.002% and multiply it by 5% (i.e. 0.05). That gives a percentage of 0.0001% or a 1 in million chance . . . and that's at best. Again, the further away from 30 you are, the more diminished your chances.

Does that mean you can't get it at your age? No it doesn't. To you this is all a moot point, because you don't have symptoms consistent with ALS . . . and . . . it simply doesn't hit you over the head in a matter of a week. That just isn't the way it presents, unless you were completely unaware of your body prior to your symptoms.

Please do your best to relax and move-on with your life. If you don't want to listen to me, please listen to Aunt Cindy who replied to your earlier.

Sorry i'm just a bit of a hypochondriac and I can't help these things. The doctor said all my muscles are working fine but the more i read and the more terrified i get. He didn't give me any test but did did tell me i deffenently don't have als. Sorry if I bothered you I just was looking for some insight because I am panicking over here.

You weren't bothering me. I just don't want you to worry about something you don't have. If reading makes you more nervous, then please stop reading.

I can imagine how frighten you are right now But considering your age and your doctors opinion I would nt think of it being anything at all

Good luck and move on

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back