Anyone went thru interview with SSD about child benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duplinwino

Distinguished member
Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
N/A
Country
US
State
NC
City
Pittsboro
Ok, here's the summary of DH's application -

Diagnosed January 2007, quit work January 2008, application turned in February.

We have been calling and calling to find out the status. We are told May 15th that a decision has been made, that the state finished with his application April 17th(!) but it was "randomly picked to go before the quality review board" and that we should "call June 16 if you have not heard". Unacceptable. So I emailed my county's representatives and got a response back the next day, they are investigating why this is taking so long.

We have an eight year old daughter. Saturday, we receive a letter that says an application has to be filled out for them to be able to review if she is eligible for benefits as well and to call the office with any questions. He calls today and they want to do a phone interview and afterwards will need her birth certificate mailed in.

Has anyone been thru this? What can he expect on the phone interview? We pulled up the checklist on the website, but it's not very clear. They have all the information they need already...

Thanks in advance,
Ashley

Last edited:
This is unacceptable! I hope you told your state officials that your husband is TERI according to SS guidelines!

what the H are they talking about - see if she's eligible? course she's eligible! But you will have to fill out the appropriate form or do it over the phone. Our son will be eight this year also!

You should have had their approval within 30 days and your child's info should have been taken at that time. You do have to provide a copy of birth cert and SS card. The things people have to go thru are just amazing with this disease! It NEVER ends, so get used to it! Bunch a d@#%*d dumb asses. Sorry!

Ashley, we had the same thing. In our case, "our" children are my husbands step children, my children from a previous marriage. Their father is totally out of the picture, no financial or emotional support at all. Well, SSDI office wanted me to prove that. How do I prove that a homeless man (my ex) isn't paying support? I don't even know for sure where he is, last I heard in a shelter somewhere. They also want me to prove that Jim's income provided at least half the income for the kids, on and on, AND then finally , they said IF they approve them, they will give us 8 dollars a month, for the two of them. I told them no thanks, not jumping thru these hoops and getting degraded for the equivalant of 2 gallons of gas a month... what jerks. My husband has been self employed for 30 years, employed many other people, paid taxes, has raised OUR kids as if they are his biologically, and when we go to get the benefit we paid into, they act like we are asking for food stamps. I hate this process....
Andrea - wife of Pals Jim.

This is horrible. I have nothing constructive to add but I am appalled. I am so sorry you have to go through this. Sincerely, Peg

Thanks all. Andrea, that's a horrible situation. $8 is RIDICULOUS!

Well, the phone call today was very brief and he was told he was approved (thank heavens!) and Sara would get benefits as well (duh). Payments do not start until August 27th... I'm not sure what is listed as his date of disability, but are the payments backdated to that date? Can we expect to get a lump sum for six months in August, or not? I can't get a clear answer.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and commiseration.

Ashley

Ashley,

It seems to vary by state, even though this is a federal program. Probably even varies by individual office. We were under the impression payments would be back dated to declaration of disability, but no, that did not happen and we were told that is not how it works.

But, if your husband has been receiving benefits from SS already, then I would think the benefits for your daughter should be back-dated to the time he started receiving payment. but hey, what do I know!

I just wish people gave a crap now a days about doing the right thing the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back