Anyone have stomach twitching and shortness of breath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherise77

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
07/2018
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
My Dad recently has been having an increase in twitching in his stomach as well as feeling like he can’t breath out fully.
It’s only been happening the last two days and last week he was at the ALS clinic for his 3 month check up and they said he had no progression. Although they didn’t do a Vital Capacity breathing test because last week he was feeling okay.
Has anyone experienced stomach twitching with breathing out being an issue?
Thank you for any insight you might have.

Don't skip a pulmonary function test, pft, because you are 'feeling well', ever.
The loss can be gradual as the body compensates, but when it gets too much.... You don't want that to come as a surprise.

Yes, I have had twitching in my abdomen as well as some of my chest area. And, yes, I have breathing issues with a Forced Vital Capacity (FVC) of about 20%.

I agree with Greg. Don't skip a spirometry of PFT. Those tests quantify things we might not be aware of. I was stunned when my first PFT showed a FVC of about 60%. I thought my breathing was much better than normal when I had that test. Boy, was I wrong!

Steve

I agree with the others- it's ridiculous that they skipped the PFT! My pulmonologist told me on my very first clinic visit that often PALS are totally asymptomatic when their numbers initially go down-- as in they feel fine and didn't notice. My lying down FVC has recently go down, first to 64 then three mos later to 48. I ws taken aback because I had no idea it would have dropped that much. I have occasional mild shortness of breath but I never thought it was that low.

Hello
Jim has constant twiching in the tomach nd pain. Esp.when he moves about. He was diagnosed in July too. His breathing is getting worse. Can't swallow very well either. He has been hallucinating in his sleep nd yet aware of me telling him to go back to sleep😉 Any one experience that? After only 3 months?

J, you said your husband has declined a vent, but is he willing to accept a BiPAP? Sounds like he could use one, if only for comfort like easier breathing. Hallucinations can also be related to the ratio of O2/CO2 that weakness in breathing muscles changes.

If he is declining a feeding tube, the best approach to difficult swallowing (and you will see lots of posts on this using the Search link up top) is essentially thick liquids/gels such as pudding, nut butters in smoothies, applesauce, eggs, even-consistency soups, etc. avoiding thin liquids [there is a lot of variability in which ones are troublesome], kernels, bits, stringy and tough foods.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back