Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
Austin
Any hints about using a Bard PEG tube cleaning brush? I bought a few to try. I didn't feel comfortable using a pipe cleaner on my wife's PEG.

We had a BARD but I never used any cleaning brush?

Are you having issues with blockage?

We had a BARD but I never used any cleaning brush?

Are you having issues with blockage?

Not yet and I want to avoid that stress. And my wife is very picky and comments about any discoloration in the tube so I'm trying to keep the peace.

If by discoloration you are referring to the black yeast spots, don't bother. They'll win.

If the issue is the coating inside the tube, you can break that up by rolling the tube between your hand and a hard surface, and then flushing with water.

If the issue is the coating inside the tube, you can break that up by rolling the tube between your hand and a hard surface, and then flushing with water.

How can you roll the last few inches of the tube next to the body?

oh you are talking about a peg tube that hangs loose?

The BARD we had was a button, so I had some awful ideas of the cleaning you meant .... :shock:

I would be very cautious about messing about with a cleaning brush.

Like Tillie, I thought you were asking about a detachable tube that works with a button. For those who have a detachable tube, I removed the dark mould spots by pouring boiling water down the tube and rubbing with my fingers. The silicone material seemed to handle it well. I did this once a month. I also kept the detachable feeding tubes in the refrigerator after each feeding was done, which further prevented the growth of anything.

For tubes that are attached, I wonder if letting a little pineapple or papaya juice sit in the tube for a while would help dissolve any gunk?

High Larry, I sometimes through boredom roll the tube between my thumb and first finger, that will loosen things up. But I generally just leave it alone. The head of my ALS. Clinic told be to run Coca-Cola through it.
Al

We use vinegar in my husbands when wee think it needs cleaned and then roll the tube like was suggested and then drained the vinegar out and rinsed with water. We have never had black spots but there is some formula residue in parts of the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back