Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Pa
City
Shavertown
My grandmother (87yo) started with right arm numbing over the winter. January, maybe? It gradually got worse to the point that she couldn't use the arm anymore. No one could figure out what was going on. At the end of July, she fell in the tub and then passed out and ended up in the ER. She was transferred to a rehab center and, while there, was diagnosed with ALS. In August/September, her other arm started getting weak but still usable and she could still stand/walk. She has been in a nursing home since her diagnosis. As of today, her voice is mostly gone and we cannot understand what she says, she has no use of either arm, is not able to stand or walk on her own, seems to cough quite a bit, and is on a honey-thick diet. There has been talk of hospice and she will be bedridden soon. She does not want any feeding tubes or respirators. I feel that she doesn't have much time left due to how quickly it's all happened and the fact that she doesn't want assisted breathing or eating. It's hard to see her suffer but I don't think she has much longer to live. I think this is the end stage but I'm not sure what to expect next.

NEPAGIRL, yes, this could be a fast progression and near the end, or not. People can plateau and hang on longer than expected. The breathing muscles and lung clarity are the most likely indicators. I hope you're close and can support her with your presence, visiting and such.

It's really very important that her wishes be in writing in her chart so everyone knows what to do if she becomes in physical distress.

Thank you, yes. I just found out she was put on hospice as of today. She does have a large family and we all visit her several times a week (11 different people today alone!) She definitely seems to be declining rapidly the past couple of weeks. I appreciate your response.

Michele

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back