Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
City
Brief background. I am a 31 yr female with one sweet toddler running around. Last August 2014 I noticed that my left forearm was sore went to my PCP and was referred to a neuro. I think they were thinking ulnar nerve stuff and at the time I was toting around a big baby so it definitely could have been the cause.

Ulnar nerve was ruled out. I feel like I should mention here that this neuro said that he used to work in an ALS clinic and he seemed thorough, kind and I really liked him. He did a variety of tests...forgive me because this is all so new. He did one where he had a tape measure and measured my limbs while I was hooked up to something and one where I was shocked all over my body. He also ordered an MRI. All of these occurred over a couple of months and during that time (looking back) I can see that I was stressed. Really stressed.

I think the neuro found some abnormal things...but it was something in my right foot which hadn’t been giving me any troubles and he said it could be an old injury that had healed. He didn’t find anything concerning in my right arm. Also, while all of this was going on I was experiencing twitches all over my body. It seemed like they would come on and but that they would hang in one place for a while but they were widespread. I really tried to ignore them (not think the worst) and focus on being a good wife and good mom and I felt like I was getting used to a new normal. I have made posts here and people on the internet (and real life) thought that it could be an anxiety possible postpartum issue and definitely not ALS. My last appiontmentt with the neuro he basically prescribed some anti anxiety meds that I never took. I want to say here that I was not an overly anxious person before this. I guess it’s like a chicken and egg thing...and I just want to know what is real and what isn’t and I can deal with it from there. I know these are trained and professionals but I want people to believe that I didn't make these symptoms up out of thin air.

All of this to say...….This week while I was making dinner I went to lift a heavy pan full of food off the stove and couldn’t lift it with my right arm. I tried my left (my dominant hand) and experienced little struggle. This. Freaked. Me. Out. I eventually lifted the pan with my right hand but I think I experienced wrist drop and it seemed like the weakness came from my thumb not getting a good grip.

So now that I experienced this real weakness I wonder if this arm has always been weaker because I can recall other times that lifting a pan off the stove seemed really heavy and pushing the stroller uphill and guiding it seemed more difficult than it should have been. I admit….I have found nothing I can not do, although sometimes my hand tires from holding my cell phone or seems to cramp up around my thumb but usually wiggling my hand brings relief. Sometimes I have a slight tremor in my arm/thumb and sometimes holding onto a water bottle takes more concentration than it should but I can do it.

I am trying to keep this brief. I have picked up on the fact that PALS are reluctant to share their stories here and I am really not looking for any kind of reassurance, I guess I have a few questions:
1. Have you ever heard of a progression like this. To recap: soreness/achiness in forearm, widespread twitches, then noticed some weakness and possible atrophy in the thenar muscle.
2. One thing that has me a little worried is when I have heard of people taking YEARS to find a diagnosis. I know everyone is different but this is interesting to me.
3. Anything I should mention at my appointment with the neuro tomorrow morning.

I am not trying to be a nuisance. Y’all are angels on earth. I can only pray that I would be able to show the same strength and grace. I am praying for an end to this horrible disease and for peace for those that have been affected by it.

Gosh! I thought I proofread. I think I got left and right arm confused more than once. I clarify the symptoms are in my RIGHT arm/hand and I am left handed. The neuro found something in my left foot.

Wondering,
What does the report for the shocking/needle tests actually say at the end?

I don't see any ALS here. And I reviewed your 2014 posts. Didn't see any ALS there, either.

When you see your neuro tomorrow, ask him straight out if you have ALS, so he can tell you something like this:
"We can never rule it out. But your presentation is not typical for ALS."

That would mean you don't have it. (The lawyers make him talk wishy-washy.)

Think about this: Your neuro prescribed you anti-anxiety pills. That means that the guy who is an expert at ALS, wants to treat you for anxiety. Yet you refuse to take the pills. Then you come to the Internet for non-expert opinions. That's not right. You need to pay attention to your neuro.

I don't have copies of the results and some of what he sounded like a different language. I will ask more questions and make sure I understand what he is saying tomorrow. Thanks you guys for taking the time to read and respond.

Rule #1: obtain and retain all test results and reports thereof.

I don't have any quarrel with your not taking the ADs. You weren't screened for anxiety or a mood disorder, and usually a neuro w/ a neuromuscular focus isn't the best person to do that.

And I can understand why not being to do something routine freaked you out. But Mike has a fair point that if you have something, it's manifested more slowly than MND generally does. That's why I asked about the results. I think it's exceedingly more likely that you have an electrolyte imbalance, pinched nerve or the like than anything more serious. The people we worry about who takes years for clarity are in a considerably worse place than you, i.e. tripping, unable to climb stairs, unable to write, eat, talk...

Get the reports. Ask about a differential. If nothing dire is said/read, check out hand exercises on YouTube (just because it's not ulnar doesn't mean that some good stretches of the fingers/wrist, possibly supplemented w/ massage/heat, won't help).

From your writing, it's not really that the same symptoms have persisted for 15 months. Your concerns have, and I understand that, too, but your next best steps are IRL, not here.

All the best.
--Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back