Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Spring
Thanks in advanced for reading. I will try to to keep this as short as possible.
Symtoms started about four months ago with random twitches.
Current symptoms:
Daily full body muscle twitches including face, neck and throat area. (Upper left pec muscle seems to be the most acctive currently)
Slight cramps/pains in different muscles including right side of jaw.
Limbs fall asleep easier.
Lump feeling in throat
Pain in forearms which may be the cause for my hands feeling weaker(this could be a work out injury that occured last week)
Wierd sensation in left side of jaw that is off and on. (The feeling you get when you are about to vomit)
Occasional slurred speech(feels like it could be bc of jaw sensation issue and no noticeable tongue twitching)
Have been to the same neuro twice that has done two motor function tests. She said no signs of hyperflexia or musle atrophy. She also said no need for an emg bc of my age (25). MRI and blood tests clean. Does this sound like anxiety and bfs or should I ask another neuro for a second opinion?
Thanks again.

Hi -- ALS/MND is a scary disease to consider/fear. We empathize. This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just so thoughts on how we can help each other ...

Here are some first considerations that may help:

#1 - Read the STICKIES at the top of this forum. Many questions are answered there. 99% of new questions are addressed.

#2 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for people with ALS. Some of us have to type with one hand, one finger, via dictation, or even with our eyes, so reading/replying to the anxiety-ridden can be very tiring.

#3 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms

#7 If your main issue is twitching go to the bfs forum. If you have weird neuro symptoms try neurotalk. There are also forums for health anxiety.

#8 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

#9 Many of us cough/gag/choke and/or can no longer speak. It is difficult to have anxious people constantly chasing this disease, when we can't escape it. There seems to be this cult of ALS wannabees/groupies. You don't want to fall into that bucket do you?

#10 Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. It is what leads many folks here to this forum -- it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this forum if you can -- if you cannot stay away and off this forum it should tell you something important!

Lastly, if you are still interested, go to alsa dot org or mda dot org ...

We sincerely hope you do not need to be here! But find out first. If you do need to be here let me say "Welcome, sorry you are here!"

-----
Max - Monday, August 18, 2014 12:03:01 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Sounds like anxiety. Twitching means nothing, I get twitching all the time and it's my husband who has ALS. Most of what you have explained is "feeling", ALS is about "failing". Have you read the sticky at the top of this subforum? All your answers are there. Listen to your doctor, save your money, you don't need another neuro appointment. You don't have ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back