12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
Hello everyone,

It's a strange day for me here as I reflect on the past year. I guess my progression could be called about average, or maybe even slightly slower...or is this just something we all want to believe? God, I miss my active life filled with daily athletic adventures and so much energy! But, shockingly, I've found to get through the days and find something to be grateful for, something to live for everyday.

Things I love and keep me going:
My first grandchild who was born in April
Time with my two children who both are back in town
My husband...it's so hard to see him work full-time and then come home and take over all the responsibilities that use to be mine, yet he does it (mostly) cheerfully
My dog, Charlee, who embraces my new lifestyle which involves lots of time sitting around
My friends who come to bring food or go for a swim with me every day
Daily swims
Sunrises
Reading and Writing...lots of time for this now
Sunrises, the mountains, the birds

Here's a video made from October at our Walk to Defeat ALS. Over 100 friends/family showed up to walk with us. I call them all my Shining Stars. They keep me fighting this monster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLjOpbKJLgI

Congrats on your anniversary.....you made it for a bonus year!:):)
Mine is coming up on Jan. 31, seems odd to celebrate a year of being doomed, but I probably will as well.

That's exactly how I feel, Mark. This is bonus time and I'm going to do my darn best to make the most of it.

That's exactly how I feel, Mark. This is bonus time and I'm going to do my darn best to make the most of it.

I read something yesterday that was so profound, I actually had a hard time understanding it...... It went something like this; Life is a wonderful adventure, embrace it for better or worse, and your journey will be accomplished and enriched.
If we could all look at it from that perspective, it could be better.
Part of me is calling it BS!

Congratulations on your anniversary. You have a wonderful attitude about things. Looking forward to seeing your post again next year at this time. Kim

Wow, that was so beautiful!

I smiled so much through the first dozen or so photos, then smiled with tears through to the end. Thank you so much for sharing that!

I'm just starting the organising of a Walk to d'feet MND as we call it here, in May next year. (May is MND awareness month in Australia) I'm actually a little late starting but I'm sure I can do it within 6 months. Your movie has inspired me beyond words!

I'm so glad you have so many things to be grateful of one year in, my heart is feeling so much joy for you.

What a bitter sweet day! I think of you often! I'm glad you have such a great support system! To another year!

Beautiful, beautiful video, full of love, hope and support. Hooray for all the blessings you have.
(Tillie, I cried, too!)

>Life is a wonderful adventure, embrace it for better or worse, and your journey will be >accomplished and enriched.
>If we could all look at it from that perspective, it could be better.

Mark, this is exactly what I've been trying to do this past year. For 56 years I worked hard and played hard and was having a pretty fantastic time. Then life took a really bad turn and I had to find new ways to be "accomplished and enriched". The BS part is that I feel totally cheated since it seemed I still had so much more living to do...so much more to give. Now I've pretty much eliminated all the trivial things that used to be upsetting/irritating and made room for what's truly important. For me that is relationships with people and searching out some kind of sense/meaning to our short time here on Earth. Or maybe I just like sitting out in the yard with a fine glass of wine thinking about such things!

Remarkably, I have not spent one minute feeling sorry for myself or even angry that this happened. It seems that somehow I skipped straight to acceptance...IIWII as our leader, Max, preaches. How, I'm not sure? But, I read a couple of books last December that helped me in this new journey. How to Be Sick by Toni Bernhard, which taught me a lot about how to accept the things that cannot be changed and how to work to find joy in even the worst situations. Also, Until I Say Good-bye:My Year of Living with Joy, by Susan Spencer-Wendel, which prompted me to begin my own "Year of Joy" filled with trips with family/friends and just quiet time with the people (and dogs) in my life. And it has been a good year in many, many ways. Certainly not what I had planned for this stage in life, but still "rich and accomplished"

It's kind of funny, but it seems like my friends like to come around and get some peace and clarity for their own lives. They, too, are changed and better able to let go of the minor irritations, instead, focusing on things that truly matter.

Tillie and Donna, glad you liked the video, but sorry it made you cry, like either of you need more tears! When I watch, I am struck by all the smiling faces and then at the end, I cry, too. The very worst part of this disease is having to leave the party too soon...all these people who mean so much to me and are so fun to be around! That part totally sucks. Tillie, hope you rally your friends for your own walk to d'feet. It feels good to take action, which is something you seem quite good at!

Slopoka, you and your sweet little daughter are both beautiful and it was wonderful to meet you at the walk. I think of you often, as well, and would like to meet again.

Mark,That is a good way to put it Dooms Day,I am so grateful for every single second, minute,hour,day that I have with
Randy,but I know that this Monster is going to lead to my Dooms Day when it dose my world will come crashing
down.Hugs to all just glad to be here. Andrea

It's all about how you choose to live - with joy or sadness. Change happens - we adapt. Some adaptions are quick and easy, and some take strength and patience. I thank the Lord for each new day in the morning, and the day I enjoyed in the evening.
Tracy

azgirl, for me they were definitely tears of how beautiful it was to watch all those bright faces, the high fives and the team in their shirts :)

Why is it all the PALS we know have such beautiful spirits! (Even our resident "bad boys" just like us to THINK they are tough!). Tracy, Andrea and Azgirl you inspire ALL of us with your zest for life and determination to make it the best possible. Thanks.

Congratulations Azgirl. Hoping for many more years.

Janie

My sister is amazing! So glad azgirl has this group of friends. See you soon, sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back