Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
US
State
Mt
City
Colstrip
I am in a wheelchair am wondering if anyone uses adaptive clothing ? I have been on silverts websites and it looks like it would make it easier

For now, I just wear really loose cloths. Easier to get on and off. Figure if they slide down when transferring and somebody gets upset, it's their problem not mine. As many docs, nurses and aides as have seen me in all my glory I'm not going to worry about one more

My PALS wears unaltered yoga pants or jeans with an elastic waistband. We use a hygiene sling (Liko) and hoyer lift to lift out of the chair and move over to the commode. Whole backside is open in this sling so a slight tug on the back waistband and the pants move from back to front. I then lower the remainder of the way and she is sitting perfectly on the commode with no clothes to interfere. When done, I raise, clean and pull the pants back up to a normal position before moving her back to her PWC. As I mentioned in the "Gadgets" area, we absolutely LOVE this sling! You can also do a Google search for "ASL: From Both Sides" and find Diane's excellent reference where she discusses altering clothes. Hope that helps...

Jim

My PALS (female) selected dresses that were easily removed from overhead.

In addition to Silverts, try velcro slippers

We are in the process of getting VA benefits. One of the things I saw was a clothing grant on a yearly basis for people with prosthetics, including wheelchairs. If you are a veteran, it may be worth asking about.

It is definitely worth asking about. Note that it has to be requested yearly.
My PVA officer reminded me, sent me the forms, and submitted them after I signed.

Greg , Do you purchase the clothing and get reimbursed or are you given an amount of money for the purpose of clothing?

You get a nice chunk auto-deposited to the same place your monthly $ goes to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back