Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
Hi all you Pals! my husband is interested in getting a new chair and I was hoping to get some feedback from all of you who use one. He originally got an Invacare--but found it uncomfortable and difficult to use. so he bought himself a used Redman which is a standing chair. It is a great feature, but the company is not the greatest service and the chair has broken several times (the actuator which is the major and very expensive component). It is also bulky and ugly, but surprisingly comfortable. He is still able to bear weight on his legs so he loves the standing (and so do I for transfers).

He is looking at the Redman again, but also found the Levo. anyone have any comments on either chair?

What about other brands that don't have the standing feature? I am not sure how much longer the standing will be even possible so I would be ok with out it (but it is his chair...) I know several here have said they have Perimobils which I think have very good chairs as well. most important to me is quality, service and comfort.

thanks ya'll!

Barbie, I have a per boil c300. I find it to be very comfortable and have even slept in it. With the tilt function it leans forward enough so that when I want to stand up there is very little effort envolved. It is high enough off the ground that you are almost standing when your feet hit the ground. The control system for it is easy to use. In addition to the joy stick it has separate panel to control all the other functions with just the touch of a button with a separate button for each function. I go pretty much anywhere I want in my yard ( live on a gently slopping hill ). If you live in town, one option available is a light package, head lights, turn signals. Really like it.

Barbie; Tim has a Bounder Plus from 21st Century Scientific, out of Idaho. He has the outdoor package, as we live on a mountain side, and we love to go onto trails. One of the options that Tim likes is that it rises 13inches, so that when he is in a store, or in public places he rides high and can see everything. We have had the housing for the motor break once, but it was repaired on warranty. It is a rear wheel drive wheelchair, which means that it has a wider turning radius. He has tried others, can't remember which ones, but this one fit him the best. You don't have to get the outdoor package, which means a little smaller wheel. Check out the site.
BOUNDER Power Wheelchairs from 21st Century Scientific, Inc.

I have a per Mobile 300. I paid extra for the riser so I can get things out of the cabinets for as long as my hands work. My DME guy who has worked with ALS patients for 15 years strongly recommended against a standing wheelchair. It has been his experience that is the disease progresses it will become harder and harder to secure us in the chair and it will eventually plop us on our faces. That made sense to me, And as a 6 foot female, physics is not on my side. I have also found that the service on terminal bills is great. I have 252 miles on mine in the year. Hope this helps Hollister

My husband is getting this power chair soon. The MDA recommended it. They said its the best on the market. Check out this link. Not sure how comfy it is cause he hasn't got it yet but the accessibility and unique way it's made seems like it will make it very convenient and more moble than most! Quickie QM-710

This looks like a huge improvement for outdoor use over other mid-wheel drive chairs. The flexible and separate functioning of the rear casters really keeps the chair moving when other mid-wheel drives would get hung up, casters on the bump and drive wheel off the ground and spinning helplessly. I wonder what the new configuration will do to what is referred to as "caster flutter" but would be more appropriately called caster jerk or lurch or furniture bashing.

When chair shopping, consider how a BiPAP machine, Trilogy, LTV vent or other respiratory equipment will mount on the chair. (Even if you are not planning to use respiratory support, you may well change your mind when struggling to breathe starts messing with you!) Beware of chairs that put the tilt\ recline mechanism smack in the middle of the seat back. That means putting respiratory support machines on the back will add several inches to the length of the chair. Small spaces are bad enough without an extra long chair!

I think the most important thing is that it is fitted to person who is using it. My husband has been supplied a quickie by the ALS society, and he does not like it much, but I think it is because it doesn't really fit him. He is a tall guy with extra long legs so they had to special modifications for him. Another one that he used in Seattle while they were doing electronic adaptations ended up making him sit so high that he had to lay back so that he could get into the van, and his head touched the roof, even with it completely down.
The other thing to consider is the type of seat that is on it. He originally was set up with a Stimulite honeycomb seat, which he really liked, but did have to make position changes to prevent tailbone tenderness. They fit him with a roho which helped that but now has sheering making his pelvis unstable and hurt. And yes it is the one that can be adjusted in different quadrants, to prevent that but it is not enough. Unfortunately we forgot his original one in Seattle so has to wait until our next visit to get in on his chair again. When you watch the Quickie video you will see that there are other PWC comparisons, they are very interesting to watch. The other thing is that Tim's has an attendant control on the back which I really like. I have watched friends operating their son's chair using his controller and it does put them in a precarious position. I have actually knocked myself over while trying to move the chair using his controller. One other thing to ask about is how adaptable it is, as the needs change. Tim has had his controller changed twice, and will be going to have his controller switched to a head array in April as he has almost completely lost the use of his hands.
Paulette

most important to me is quality, service and comfort.

thanks ya'll!

I think this other thread has some great info too.
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/tips-tricks-gadgets/23588-new-chair-advice.html

I wasn't familiar with that Quickie brand, but some of the videos on you tube are impressive for the suspension. Just make sure that it can be fitted with a decent range of sizes for seating options. Getting the correct size bottom and back of the seat is important for comfort.

I've been very impressed with the Permobil support. I have come up with some fairly unique alternative driving controls when I couldn't do the joystick anymore. They were very helpful in getting a setup that worked. Now they are working with me on another custom control method. It's great that they want to help enable me instead of saying "Sorry, that doesn't exist so you're out of luck. "

I do think you need to look at who's going to service these. And definitely go for a custom fit. My legs are so long I needed a chair that had a 22 inch deep seat and it fits me like a glove. And the Permobile chairs are modular so it can progress with me as this disease progresses. Good luck. Sorry you even have to be looking at this.
Hollister

I think he wants the Redman again--he really loves his standing feature now. we are going to talk with their rep and I am trying to convince him to look at a permobil...

I do not know very much about pwc's but, I was told that per Mobil and and the other one that starts this Quantum are manufactured out side the US and when they ore brought into the States some of the features are removed. I was told that at the place where I got my walker. thus their recommendation was a US manufactured chair.

Rick

Fitting and choice of drive location are key. Each location of the wheels has it's advantages.
Front climbs best
Mid is most maneuverable
Rear steers easiest
Choice of seat type is also important
If it's already ordered an don the way, all this is moot, eh?

This is a replacement wheel chair--he has been in one for 5 years now.

Permobil was at the Walk toDefeat ALS and we looked at the 300--he really liked it. they do have a standing feature on the 500. now we are discussing what if we didn't get the standing feature...how would he adapt what we do now. The elevator with the foot rest that goes to ground level may be a good alternative.

I know a lot of people here have said stay away from the stand feature--but it has been great for my husband. you never know with ALS--and he can still stand so it is something I am so glad we have had for the last 5 years. He uses it to transfer and to pee and it has made his life much easier!

I just saw that Permobil and ALS.org have some sort of relationship so I am thinking that perhaps I got bad information from Healthcare Associates.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back