12/2012
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
Hi All,
How does everyone keep the top of the tube clean? Everyday I completely wet a paper towel and roll the end of it to a point and push it as far into the top as I can and swirl it around. The main opening that the nutrition goes down is pretty easy to keep clean. Then there is a much smaller offshoot that I guess can be used for smaller syringes (which I never use) that I have to make the paper towel point teeny tiny to get into it. There is also the cap on the main tube that is hollow and gets filled with formula, the formula dries in there and it stinks to high heaven. I also (very gently) use a toothpick to extract out the dried formula. I know about Coca-Cola to clean the main tube but it is just these pesky openings that are giving me a headache. Not a life-threatening issue - just thought some of the more experienced CALS had a better way to deal with this. Thanks! Trina

To clean a PEG Tube:

Push 1-2 syringes of warm water into your tube before and after your meal. Do this with every meal. Get some pipe cleaners from your local superstore or craft center. These are found in the craft section of your store. They come in different colors, but it doesn't matter what color you get.

Now, you can do this next step once a day. You may do this more often if you think it absolutely necessary. Pour some Coke into your PEG tube with your syringe. Close the cap of your tube and let this set for a few minutes. This will dissolve food residue as you will be able to see if your tube is clear.

Next, take one of your pipe cleaners and slightly bend over the tip of one end so that it is flush with the rest of the pipe cleaner, and there is no sharp edge anymore. Now, open the cap and slowly slide the pipe-cleaner, bent tip first, into your PEG tube. Push the pipe-cleaner in, but not so far as to go into your stomach..you will able to tell when to stop. Squeeze up and down the tube a few times. Finally, slide the pipe cleaner out and push warm water through your tube.

Tip: Keep your pipe cleaners wherever you take your meals so they are handy if you need them.

Note: Use Diet Coke if you are diabetic just incase more Coke gets into your stomach than you had planned.

Applying these techniques regularly should keep your tube clean, free flowing, and hopefully eliminate those pesky trips to the doctor's office and emergency room for a clogged feeding tube!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hangingon1 - while I appreciate u taking the time to reply to my post - how about staying on topic ? I asked for suggestions on how to clean the peg. I think everyone on this forum knows that your wife didn't get a peg - and I'm glad that decision worked for the two of you. I'm sorry that u don't agree with pals getting the peg - but I really don't care! I certainly wasn't going to allow my 86 year old mother to gag and choke every day! Get over yourself!

Carlos, thanks for sharing that. Good advice.

Carlos, thanks for sharing that. Good advice.

No problem.
Here at your service, as long as this disease allows me help others.

;-)

@hangingon1:

Your post has nothing to do with the topic of this thread and it was uncalled for.
TGB1's mom already has the PEG-tube and she is looking for solutions on how to keep it clean.
She's not looking to know whether your late wife got the feeding tube or not, that's not the issue on hand here.

If you don't have anything nice to say or add on a given thread, don't say anything at all, please.

Peace.

Dear Hangingon,
You are back to being your mean spirited self again.

Dear Carlos,
Great information as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back