Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
California
City
Pleasant Hill
Can anybody help me to know how can I talk to my parent about assisted living?

Rose,
I would just start talking, using "I" statements that fan out to "you" and "us" -- "I thought we could talk...I'm worried that...do you think that...what should we find out?"
It may go a short conversation at a time for a while, so if it is an issue, start now but slowly.
You may well find that your parent has similar concerns. I would do some research before the first chat on what options might be available in your area, that are financially in reach.

It's hard for the kid and the parent to Have that Conversation!
Don't expect to resolve any thing in that first talk and expect resistance. Even if they have realized they need help they may not want to admit it'. If u bring it be prepared to drop it til a later date-but at least it it out there

With my mom, my siblings and I went and investigated a few places first... closer to her, closer to us, services provided. It's important to actually go visit the places and get a feel for them... some just aren't as advertised while others are a very pleasant surprise. Then we started bringing it up to her.. spending a lot of time bringing up the ways it could improve HER life... safety, services, etc. Eventually though, she took (another) fall and we just as a group put our foot down and said Mom, this is going to happen. Yes, she got angry but we really felt keeping her safe was more important than whether or not she was speaking to us... there was time down the road to mend fences if she was still safe and well!

Rose,
When my mom moved into a community living situation, she lit up! She actually was happier than before because she was with other people her age, participated in activities, had company, etc. She can no longer live there as her ALS has progressed, but the place was wonderful
As Katie C states, you absolutely must research before moving her there. Talk to people, read reviews, take her there to see it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back