Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
AU
State
NSW
City
New Lambton
I'd like everyones thoughts on the best chest clearing techniques they've discovered.. Be specific

A Cough Assist machine, perhaps?

Yes I'm fully aware of cough assist but not everyone has access to them and they're very expensive if you have to hire or buy them .. I was more referring to cupping techniques, rolling or sitting positions, humidifiers and steaming etc..

Yes I'm fully aware of cough assist but not everyone has access to them and they're very expensive if you have to hire or buy them .. I was more referring to cupping techniques, rolling or sitting positions, humidifiers and steaming etc..

Sorry then. I was expecting that was the answer you were looking for.
Maybe some CALS with knowledge about the techniques you are inquiring might chime in eventually with answers for you.

Regards,

NH

Yeah thanks hopefully they'll join the discussion and leave some pearls of wisdom .. I've got chesty phlegm from time to time and can usually move it enough with cupping and rolling so I can swallow it.. YUK!.. But it sometimes takes time and therefore energy so if anyone has a better technique please do tell ;)

When you swallow the phlegm, your episodes are more likely to be prolonged because having phlegm in your stomach can promote reflux. I would recommend prevention first (e.g. avoiding dairy at night, eating slowly, drinking after each bite, keeping well-hydrated, etc.). Then I'd consider a suction machine (much less costly than a Cough Assist) so you can get rid of the phlegm after you cough it up. At least hold a folded half-paper towel to your mouth (we go through mountains of Select a Size towels) when you hawk/cough to capture what you can.

Tweaking heated humidification on your BiPAP and avoiding aggressive climate control and other drying environments is another preventive measure. Also, you might try papaya tablets, pineapple and/or lemon drinks and hot tea throughout the day.

It has helped my husband to "spit" (as he calls it) the phlegm into a paper towel every morning first thing and last thing at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back