Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Il
City
Chicago
Hello, over the summer I started waking up with Charlie horses (bad cramping) in my calf muscles. At the end of September I started having muscle fascilations (spelling?) in my right instep of foot. These are consistent and seen mostly in morning and night time. Although I can look at my foot at almost anytime of the day and see little twitches I also have many little twitches in calves,thighs,feet, and occasionally in arms and back. These feel like little pops under my skin. Went to the neurologist and am scheduled for EMG in 4 weeks. Neurologist said I have some "brisk" reflexes, but no atrophy. A few days ago i was dping some mild exercising-jogging in place, when i stopped both calf muscles and both feet insteps mere going crazy, looked and felt like tidal waves under skin. this lasted about 20 min. then went back to the regular little twitching i have been having.I have read the stickies, still confused about my symptoms. I appreciate any insight. :confused:

Hi

My best insight for you at this point is to just try to remain as calm as you can until you can get some answers.

There can be all kinds of causes for brisk reflexes and the fasciculations you are having, as well as the cramps, so all speculation at this point is going to do is make the time you wait for the EMG seem like an eternity.

Normally, a blood work up is done, to check levels of certain vits. like B-12 and things like potassium.

So,e things that can cause cramping are a new exercise program, exerting yourself somehow, deficiencies...there is a long list.

Try to enjoy the last little bit of nice fall weather before Wimter hits, and keep your mind on other things. Contrary to popular belief, twitches really aren't a general early sign of ALS, weakness is, so keep that in mind, too. Let us know how your testing goes.

Notme has given you excellent advice! I know waiting is hard but I bet if you focus on your 4 great kids time will fly by. :)

As usual, I agree with notme... try to not worry about it while you're waiting for the EMG.

Muscle cramps/charlie horses can also be caused by lack of potassium/magnesium, B12 can cause issues (lack of), etc. So try to eat healthy, put milk of magnesium in your tub and enjoy a long soak, etc. Hopefully you'll find out what it is soon, which would also rule out ALS, as it's a diagnosis that has to rule everything else out.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Fasciculations after excersise are extremely common. Many many athletes have them.

Still so very unlikely to be anything scary, but I understand waiting 4 weeks for the EMG is tough. Good luck and take care.

Are the brisk reflexes bilateral? Are you still cramping? Have you noticed any disability?

Bilateral brisk reflexes are often normal.
Cramps should not be considered pathological unless you're getting them often, like more than twice a month, although even twice a month could be worrisome if you're not engaged in strenuous activity constantly. If you're not cramping in unusual places, that's a good sign too.
An increase in fasciculations is very common after exercise.
Please be reassured that a very small percentage of people with ALS present with solely generalized fasciculations and no other symptoms.
The insteps and calves are very common places for fasciculations.

Thank you all for your kind words. Just got blood work back all levels normal, including magnesium, potassium,etc. when you ask about bilateral reflexes , do you mean the same on both sides? The neuro said left side had brisker reflexes then the right. My twitching and fasciculations seem to be most present on right side but I feel them in both feet both calves both legs and sometimes in my back and arms. I appreciate the advice to try and relax, a lot of the time I can do that but other times I am simply terrified. I am 43 and my kids range from 18 to 10. They still need their mom! This is a very scary time and waiting is hard.
The exercise induced fasciculations were after such mild exercise it didn't seem like that could cause it. I am not a very active person so I do not workout strenuously. The cramping is in toes and calves. I have not noticed any major disability , just shaky legs after walking.

One more thing...I can still stand on one foot but the instep muscles are frequently sore. I also think I have weak feelings there...but since I can still balance on one foot.. Do you think it is perceived weakness? The stress of twitching is getting to me!

OK, totally ignore those silly self-tests you've found on Google. Only a trained doctor can accurately test your strength. Those tests are not medically valuable nor even reliable measures of objective strength, and you could even hurt yourself or strain something. I know the waiting is hard (I'm some 7 months into my waiting game myself) but it's important to let the doctors do their thing. Good luck and best wishes. Hopefully you'll get good, reassuring news from the EMG appointment.

If you're not used to exercise, then, yes, any exercise could cause it. Hyper reflexes are an UMN sign, and most normally associated with spasticity and hypertonia, and clonis and a positive Babinski sign in ALS, so again, try to relax.

Let them get it sorted. In your age bracket, something in your back is the much more likely culprit. How do you do with things like heat tolerance? Has MS been mentioned as something to be ruled out? It normally is in women with some UMN stuff going on.

Let is know how the EMG goes. Rigjt now, there is absolutely no reason to believe you won't be there for those kids.

Sorry, off to mod land. Tried so hard, David, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back