Diagnosis
04/2012
Country
US
State
TN
City
Nashville
I've searched threads and not come across the info I was looking for.

Once the VA Adaptive Housing Grant is authorized, how does it work?

I need to modify the master bathroom so I can get in there, shower, and use the toilet.

Do I get my own contractor, only certain VA contractors?

How does the payment go?

Basically, what are the basic steps from getting the work done to getting the contractor paid?

Any info would be wonderful. Thanks!

The hard part is done! You need to get estimates from 3 contractors (best to use the ones suggested by the VA because they know how to do the paperwork). Has someone from the VA come out and looked at your house? If not, call Nichelle Edwards at the PVA and get the number for Wayne Brindley. He (or someone in his office) will do an inspection and tell you what has to be done. He will write up a report for the contractors to look at. There are certain VA requirements (much like ADA requirements) on the adaptations. If a specific contractor is suggested, go with that one. It is so important that they understand the VA process. 3 payments are made to the contractor after they have completed different stages of the renovation and then the final payment is made after the final inspection by the VA.

I am going through that now and was at the VA yesterday... Here's what Iearned. There are two different amounts of $$$. One is $6300 and requires you to submit plans, contractors etc for approval before work can be done. It works opposite of the process for the $68000. The larger amount requires someone from the VA to come and inspect your house (there is only one person for northern CA) before any contractors are called, plans drawn up, permits pulled, etc. This person will then tell you to go ahead with a contractor from their approved list. If you go ahead without their approval and they think it is not done to their specifications it will have to be done over. So my understanding is a small job use the smaller HISA grant (PVA will help) and submit all the paperwork. A bathroom remodel in my case is going to require more $$$ so we have to wait for the person to come first.

Miss may have more information as she has worked with the VA a lot.

Jen

@Miss - So Wayne Brindley covers Nashville, TN? I'm already been in contact with Nichelle too.

You know, I never thought of looking into this! My daughter is having a house built and we are moving in with her so that I will have help down the road caring for Dean. Of course the house was NOT designed with a handicapped bathroom. We had the bathroom modified (the house was already framed when she purchased) to accommodate Dean and his walker. I wonder if I could have gotten VA $$ for this modification. I looked and saw where the handbook indicates "our house" or a house where we are residing. I will certainly remember this further down the road if we need more modifications! We had a raised toilet, pocket door and zero entry non-slip tile shower with both shower head and hand held shower installed. Well, not installed yet but hopefully soon.

The hard part is done! You need to get estimates from 3 contractors (best to use the ones suggested by the VA because they know how to do the paperwork). Has someone from the VA come out and looked at your house? If not, call Nichelle Edwards at the PVA and get the number for Wayne Brindley. He (or someone in his office) will do an inspection and tell you what has to be done. He will write up a report for the contractors to look at. There are certain VA requirements (much like ADA requirements) on the adaptations. If a specific contractor is suggested, go with that one. It is so important that they understand the VA process. 3 payments are made to the contractor after they have completed different stages of the renovation and then the final payment is made after the final inspection by the VA.

My main concern will be the bathroom. We have just one and it is upstairs. A downstairs bathroom would help a lot. Do you know how helpful they are concerning funding for bathroom additions? I am still waiting for the VA to approve my disability. Hopefully that will come soon. thanks in advance for any advice/guidance......cheers.....fp

Floyd Parton - Yes, the VA will cover a bathroom addition through the SAH grant.

Syekick - Wayne Brindley is with the VA and handles all of TN. I believe he has given some help since we used our SAH grant, so there could be someone else making the calls now.

Deanswife - your husband's name has to be on the deed in order to be eligible for the SAH grant.

Floyd Parton - Yes, the VA will cover a bathroom addition through the SAH grant.

Syekick - Wayne Brindley is with the VA and handles all of TN. I believe he has given some help since we used our SAH grant, so there could be someone else making the calls now.

Deanswife - your husband's name has to be on the deed in order to be eligible for the SAH grant.

Do you have to buy a house or have one built for the SAH? Or can you use it for your present home? I read the following online
•Specially adapted housing grant (SAH) - Certain veterans and service members with service-connected disabilities may be entitled to a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant from VA to help build a new specially adapted house or buy a house and modify it to meet their disability-related requirements. Eligible veterans or service members may now receive up to three grants, with the total dollar amount of the grants not to exceed the maximum allowable ($63,780 at the time of this writing).

thanks......appreciate the help/info......cheers....fp

Last edited:
We modified our current home. Most people with ALS do that instead of buying or building a new house.

We modified our current home. Most people with ALS do that instead of buying or building a new house.

Based on your experience. Any suggestions as to mods. I have a split level home. Only one bath and it is upstairs. All bedrooms are upstairs. Ideal would be a bathroom and bedroom addition downstairs. Any specific suggestions about bathroom mods? Thanks in advance.....you are one of the most active and helpful members on the forum and it is appreciated.......cheers.....fp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back