Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
Uni
State
Texas
City
Waxahachie
I just received my BiPap machine on Wednesday of this week. I only use it to sleep. It seems that I sleep better and have more energy during the day. Does anyone else use this machine, and if so, what are your thoughts?

I've been using a BiPap for about 3 weeks and I expected to have more daytime energy but I don't. It does help me sleep, I have a hard time breathing laying down without it. My only complaint is "dry mouth", apparently when I fall asleep my mouth drops open and the air dries out my mouth really, really bad.

If you use the search feature above you'll find many posts on Bipap. Look at bottom of this page for a few threads.

AL.

I've been using a BiPap for about 3 weeks and I expected to have more daytime energy but I don't. It does help me sleep, I have a hard time breathing laying down without it. My only complaint is "dry mouth", apparently when I fall asleep my mouth drops open and the air dries out my mouth really, really bad.

Bill,

If your mouth is coming open, then the air pressure is just exiting via your mouth, rather than giving your diaphragm a break, and helping with the exchange of co2 and oxygen. That is why you're not feeling more rested, and why your mouth is dry as well.

There are chin straps that can be attached to the head gear of the bipap mask, or consider using a full face mask, which is actually not a full face mask, it just covers the nose and mouth, so the air pressure settings are effective if the mouth is open or closed.

I hope you catch this post, you will feel much better with the bipap can do what it's intended to do. good luck to you :)

lgreen, welcome to the forum.

Bill,

There are chin straps that can be attached to the head gear of the bipap mask, or consider using a full face mask, which is actually not a full face mask, it just covers the nose and mouth, so the air pressure settings are effective if the mouth is open or closed.

I'm using the full face mask that covers just my mouth and nose. The air blowing into my mouth from the BiPap is what dries my mouth.

Bill - my husband uses Biotene mouthwash for dry mouth before he goes to bed at night. It really helps.

VL

I use Biotene too, and also have a spray I keep by the bedside. I don't sleep with my mouth open, but have very dry mouth anyway. Look for a brand that contains glycerin as one of the first ingredients.

Try turning up the heat of your humidifier, put a hose insulator "cozy" on the hose to help prevent condensation from building up and dripping on you, if that becomes a problem. If you already have the heat on the humidifier cranked up, try a hose insulator to help keep the air warm and moist, and also tucking it under the covers will help. ( Depending on how much you move around at night, this can be a good thing, or not at all helpful.)

Plus, if you're not feeling refreshed, ask either your RT that set you up with the machine, or the clinic about having the pressure settings adjusted.aa

good luck 8)

this is the spray I have, it tastes better than others I've tried. Have not tried them all though, could be one better tasting out there. Either way, this one does help. I spritz it in my mouth right before I start the bipap up.

Amazon.com : Oasis Mouth Moisturizing Spray, Mild Mint, 1 Fl oz (30 ml) : Mouthwashes : Beauty@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sQIKE6FGL.@@AMEPARAM@@41sQIKE6FGL

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I also thought I would have more daytime energy. And it makes my mouth and nose so dry

Thanks for this info. I will get some Biotene. My mouth is very dry in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back