Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you had your thyroid checked?

notime; Believe it or not you are going to love me for this....When my dad got his DX, i was grasping for straws. I ordered that book off T.V. Some Dr. wrote it, it was called "WHAT THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW' Anyway, there was a whole chapter about sugar subitutes. Most of them are chemicals.My grandmother lived 2 blocks away. All she had was equal and sweet & low. I became used to sweet & low on my rice krispies from age 6.( i am 46) I loved sweet and low, in coffee, ice tea ect.This book talked about the body can not burn it off and stores it. It will only get rid of the storage if you totally stop using it. I stopped , it will be 3 years in April I have always had problems with celulite no matter how much weight i lost. Always tired too. Your body burns real sugar very quickly. I was not even on a diet and like 2 months not using it, my saddle bags and cellulite started to disappear. I was fitting in jeans I have not worn in years.I can not believe the results....

I don't have any thyroid issues.

Patty, I don't choke often, can't actually get the darn stuff moving to choke on it. I will mention it in Feb, I am having an EMG and consult with my neuro, although I am maneuvering to avoid the EMG. I do not feel I have any LMN involvement so might be able to avoid it again. Worked in June.
I am not taking my husband to another appt

I have had problems for the last 6 months or so (out of about 20 years of dealing with symptoms of pls). They started as spasms that were very painful, under the tongue, then slight drooling at the corners of my mouth and choking unexpectantly on saliva. Some slurring of words when I am fatigued.

During my recent cruise I started having spasm (charly horse type cramps) in my throat (front neck muscles?). My voice gets a little tight feeling and horse. I started choking just about every meal on mainly the soups that were thin, like bullion based soups. Thicker soups did not bother me.

I do not know if I should be concerned at this point in time. I have slowed down and am very careful about what I eat or how fast I eat it. To tell the doc other than to just have it recorded by him, would be nonsense for me to go through tons of expensive testing to tell me what I pretty much can already guess.

It isn't going to kill me at this time as long as my hubby knows so he can help me if needed during a coughing fit at the dinner table. But thats just my opinion. I have delt too long with new symptoms as I progress and there is nothing they can do about them other than tell you to slow down as it progresses. Know what I mean?

My husband started with speech then swallowing became difficult. Went from solid to soft then blended then peg. Nuts and anything spicey was the first things to go. Then bread and anything that stuck to the roof of your mouth. Water was hard to swallow without choking. Mouthwash took his breath away and could not catch his breath and was gasping for air. He has a peg tube now and only eats through his peg. No food just formula. Bad experience after peg with food. He asked me that no matter how much he begged for real food blended never to give it to him again.

mine started about 4-5yrs ago,just every so ofton but very slowly progressed.
now its most days /most times i eat.
seems the back of my tongue has trouble getting food to the throat then i have to swallow a few times to get the food down but many times it just sits there so i have to try a drink which mostly does not work but i found sometimes i can push it down by eating bits of bread.
i have been told yogurt works but as i dont usually eat it i ofton dont have any.

i started with the spasms on the lower right side of my face some weeks back then got jaw spasms.........one jaw spasm was so strong my teeth clashed and cracked my back lower right molar.
since then i have had facial spasms and pain on both sides of face,i can not chew a piece of food more than twice as my muscles get so fatigued so i am on a soft food/liquid diet.

i first went to gp who said to see dentist so i did.
dentist did xrays ect and said it was not dental or tmjd but was due to the soft tissue/muscles and weakness in my lower jaw.........i said i did have pain around the tmj but they said xrays showed no inflamation so it was refered pain i feel there.
i am waiting now for an appointment to see a surgeon (not sure if its an oral surgeon)to take a look at my jaw.
i am taking 2x 30/500mg of co codamol every 4hrs but that just takes the edge off the pain plus upped my baclofen.
its just unbearable and i dont know what they can do.

all this has triggered off my depression and i was just sobbing for days so they have put me on meds for that as well.

Olly, its so good to hear from you. I am so sorry you are having a rough tine, I hope things get a bit better soon. The dark clouds of depression are horrible. Worse thing ever.

Love to you
Aly

Hi all, for you people with PLS and bulbar involvement...........did your swallowing difficulties start intermittently ........just on certain foods and fine on others. I have had 3 days with terrible trouble getting certain food down. I swallow and swallow, sometimes just have to cough it back up. I have had swallowing issues in the past, but they had pretty much gone away
It didn't worry me, as I think I have a bit of neuropraxia from neck surgery a few years ago, but it should not suddenly get worse. If it continues I will have to tell Hubby, which will send him in a spin. Thought I would do some fishing with you knowledgeable people first.

Thanks y'all

My mother presented with bulbar symptoms when she was diagnosed with ALS. She started with problems swallowing (usually people start with speech issues) and for her it was intermittent and depending on food type but slowly progressed to difficulty regardless of the food or drink she tried to eat. That said, the only thing we can do is share our experiences with ALS, we can't replace the opinion of a physician, so if you have real concern about this I think you should consult your doctor and see what they say. you know what they say: An ounce of precaution is worth a pound of cure

Thank you, as always this week has been just fine, well much much better. Just comes and goes, I dont really understand how it is intermittent. I may mention it at my next follow up, we shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back