would HGH (human growth hormones) or steriods help your muscles in anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostin

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
th
State
phuket
City
patong
someone is asking me this

would HGH (human growth hormones) or steriods help your muscles in anyway?

pretty certain that the answer is no but don't know why

someone kindly explained why no on another forum. ..

In neuro-muscular disorders such as Rex has there is a disconnect between the nerves (which tell the muscles to work) and the muscles.
The muscles stop working fully and gradually weaken and waste away.
If the nerves can't tell the muscles to work you can't strengthen them.
Artificial, external stimulation has not shown to have a lasting effect.
HGH etc only seems to work on muscles that are working with good neuro-muscular function.

That is why when the spinal cord (which is the source of the nerves which branch out down to the fingers and toes) is cut there is a loss of muscle action below the level of the cut.
Paraplegia or quadraplegia results - depending on the level and the completeness of the cut.

When you get creeping paralysis like ALS once a muscle function is lost it is gone.

In Rex's case the progression has been rapid - a year resulting in dramatic loss of function.
In others it can just keep decreasing in function more slowly over decades.

Hi, I am am on steriods. I have recently experienced no swelling and increase in flexibility in my foot and leg muscle. I have been on them now less than a month and noticed some changes. I have ck levels in the 200-400 range and have difficulty going up stairs. My current diagnosis is myositis (inflamation of the muscles). I drink ensure for muscle health with revigor and for cramping I take heglands leg cramp with quinine or drink tonic water. In ALS I am not sure if that would have helped my sister or my dad. Its like the muscles in als just give way and do not come back.

Myositis is of course completely different from ALS. Just making a point of saying that, incase folks don't realize and think steroids can help ALS. Steroids are very useful in conditions that involve inflammation as in myositis( muscle inflammation) they are also used to dampen down the immune response for relapses in MS ( methylprednisolone ).

They are not used for MND. Pity

Ok I had to chime in,now if i was on steroids all the time i may not feel this way.....but I LOVE steroids! Injections, pills! I had reactive mono had a steroid injection all my lymph nodes went down and energy came back..Flashforward to now.......i get the pill form when i have severe sinus inflammation and i get so much energy, yeah my muscles are weak but I will have ENERGY! And my joints wont hurt because thanks to spasticity and muscle wasting, muscle in my shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles are wearing out..so steroids wont stop als but they make me feel better but i have never heard of a doctor using them for ALS only inflammation.

Funny kind of--I've been on steroids numerous times--and they've always made me feel like crap. Doctors finally stopped ordering them for me because I react to them so badly.

it's amazing how meds affect people different ways, isn't it?

For sure! My mom was just on them and got no relief from her sinuses? Reglan causes extreme akisthsia in me and i would not wish it on my worst enemy! It works fine for othesr, by the way its a anti nausea med ;)

No they will not help, ALS is the Nerves not communicating with the muscles.. Therefore steroids are not of any help.. or HGH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back