Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
nl
City
st. johnès
I saw the neuro in June and he said after a physical exam that everything was ok. One week later i started getting pain in the top of my quad, something like my wallet or a key would irritate it more in my pocket. Also a little numbness in the heel of the foot upon getting out of bed in the morning. THe pain is sometimes around the knee, below and above. I still have body wide twitches, 2 or 3 days straight around my right eye. Sometimes it's worst than others and the last day i have had a small cramp in the calve muscle and today pain in my hamstring (like a muscle tight cramp ets) when i move. I am scheduled to get an EMG in January. Any thoughts input, Could in be BFS or something entirely unrelated to ALS. It started more me with a twitch or prick in my right index finger then my hands felt numb then cramps in my right foot before christmas, nothing since and all over body twitching since november. Can ALS start in my hand and move somewhere else and my hand be ok. Up until the left leg pain. The left leg was probably the only place where i had no symptoms of anything. Can ALS react like that seemingly the other areas are good except for the occasional twitch. In a nutshell my symptoms statred in both hands then my right leg (they are all ok as of now) and then move into my left leg. I don't think it works like that but someone could enlighten me thanks.

No it doesn't work like that. It starts in one place and worsens then moves on and on and on. Once it strikes an area, it doesn't get better, then pick a different area to strike.

So if it started in my hands like i thought then moved to my right foot with the 2 major cramps before christmas. It wouldn't leave those areas good and then move to left leg. I'm so stressed.

The area it starts in does not improve. It continues to get worse as other areas progressively become effected.

my hands feel fine. i can still lift 25 pounds easily with either and my right leg feels good as ever. It's just my left leg feels numb and painful. Could it be something else . I also guess when it starts it starts in one area and kills everything there before going elsewhere. They say the twitching comes after the disease starts. Thanks i am so stressed

Your strength sounds fine which is good. Weakness is the overall first sign of ALS. ALS doesn't "kill" everything in one area before effecting another. It starts in one area it continues to spread to other areas. The initial area is the most damaged until it is no longer functional. If your symptoms started before Christmas it sure doesn't sound like ALS to me. But I'm not a doctor. Perhaps you should go see yours. I'm confident your fears will be relieved.

I am seeing my GP on monday and i have an appt for an EMG in late JAn. MY neuro thought i was fine but his physical examination. Then a week later my leg started paining. I have heard stories of people with no pain or anything and then all of a sudden a leg or arm gives out. One person told me its about motor nerves which typically have no pain unlike sensory nerves which have pain. THanks for your advice. I'm a stressful person. THank you again. I wish i had the EMG. That would tell one way or the other.

The person that told you that ALS does not affect sensory nerves is correct--it doesn't affect the nerves that cause pain. But--as I said--if one area was having issues, then got better--it's NOT ALS. ALS doesn't work like that.

So the tighness in my muscles and pain in my legs is probably not ALS.?

You've been told this multiple times by multiple people on average of once a week over the last several weeks. Please, if you will not believe us--go to your doctor and have them tell you. There comes a point when it's a waste of our time to try and convince you when it's becoming obvious we simply are not able to do so. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back