09/2010
Country
US
State
Utah
City
Pleasant Grove
Good Morning Everyone

I have a simple question. I have ALS and my doctor ordered me a special power chair. We finally received it and MEDICARE paid for the chair.

When we asked MEDICARE about a ramp to get the chair out of our home and a lift to have it placed into the back of our Ford Excursion, we were informed that they did not cover those type of items.

They also said that the power chairs are meant to be used in the home and not taken out for ROAD TRIPS. We asked about Doctor Appointments, Church, and town events [4th of July].

Again, told that is what wheel chairs are meant for. Just a side note: this cost of this chair was over $25,000.00
The MEDICARE REP said that we would have to pay for these extra items if we wanted them.

Our local Church said that they would build a ramp for us but that only solves half the issue.

I am a Disabled Veteran and have not checked with them yet on any programs.

Has anyone had this type is problem with MEDICARE?

Thanks for your time

Ray

Medicare will not cover any changes to your home, handicap transportation, or ramps. We did it all on our own, but I would think there is a good chance that the VA would cover those things.

Definitely contact the VA--there are benefits available to you from them with ALS---if others miss your post-- put in VA and read some of the others. I believe there is a 10k allowance from the VA--but don't quote me on it--for transportation things. I saw a post a few days ago about it--so shouldn't be too far back if you search. It won't let me put in links--I think I do it wrong.

I understand that ALS can actually be considered a disease associated with military service or something similar. Also check with loaner closets in your ALSA area. They might have a portable scooter or something in the meantime for traveling.

Here in MA we have Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission and they help out with things like that under certain circumstances. Also there is other funding for home renovations that needs to be done because of a disability when you are not a client of Mass Rehab. I wonder if there is anything like that available in your state? Usually the cheapest option for a van with a ramp is to buy one with a ramp already in it. Don't know anything about VA, sorry.

With the VA they will get you ALL of those things, including money to pay for a VAN. Concider waiting till Oct if you can on the Van, as they are upping the grant from $11,000 to $18,000. This is for the Van only, then they will put all the adaptive equipment on at no charge to you.

You need to make an appointment with the nearest Paralyzed Veterans Association Service Officer as soon as possible. There are many, many benefits offered to veterans now that ALS is a presumptive service related illness.

All I can do is reiterate what the others have said. Get to the VA, there are many benefits designated only for those with ALS! Also the PVA is very helpful, they filled out all the paperwork for me and is handling all that mess!

Notme,
The allowance is based on service connected rating. 10k I believe is 10% service connected, which with ALS there is a minimum of 30% service connected. The 30% is 63 k! I believe this is the latest news on this.

TNTTony7,

The 63K is for the SAH (Special Adaptive Housing) Grant. It requires a 50% service connected disability to be eligible. $11,000 is the Automobile Grant (chassis). The Special Adaptive Equipment Grant pays to have the van converted to wheelchair accessible. Paperwork for both grants should be filed immediately as they take time. Even if you don't qualify based on current eligibility, once the paperwork is in motion, it makes the process easier when you do qualify.

Thank you for the clarification. But there is also an SAH for those less then 50%, which the PVA told me was 10k. Also, with ALS the minimum service connected rating is 30%! There was a motion to make the minimum 100%, but I have'nt found out if that motion was approved or not.

Kind of off topic--but if the service is considering ALS service related--does it make anyone wonder how--and why--when their seems to be no 'cause' known.

They have made it presumed to be service connected, because of the percentage of servicemen and women who get this terrible disease. Dr. Edward Kasarskis my neuro has told me that of newly diagnosed ALS the percentage is highest in Desert Storm Veterans. He is the Professor at Ky Univ., chief of neurology of the VA of Lexington, and also the head of a ALS Clinic. That's just my take on it. I do often wonder what the cause is.

I may be incorrect but I believe that the adaptive for special medical equiptment, is covered by the major medical part of the VA. At least from what I've been told. I have an appointment on the 14th for vehicle conversion, power wheelchair, hand controls. But then again this is the 3 rd
time I've supposedly had an appointment for these things.

Miss, obviously you've been through this with your husband, so what are the steps to take to get these things? As this is the 3rd time my dr., has said the appointment is for these things. I've also been told it would be better to go through Medicaid to get it as VA takes forever to get it. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

It took us on month to get the van and two months to get the power wheel chair. It took less than six months to get construction started on the SAH grant. In the meantime, the VA loaned us a power wheel chair. After our initial visit to PT, the guys were at the house building ramps in two weeks. If you have a PVA officer that won't go to bat for you, you have to be very, very persistent with them. Make friends with the people in OT, PT and KT. They are the ticket to getting these things quickly. It takes a doctor's order to authorize things, but these people actually order them. They will be the people to follow up with the prosthetics department. You can, too, but it helps when the therapy folks are fighting for you, too.

Good Sat. Everyone.....

Thanks for the advice and I will check with the VA, I am already rated 30% VA and 60% from the Army

thanks agian

question for Missy, What's your Puppy's name

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back