Ideas, gadgets, products....for transferring from wheelchair to van / car and back

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixiebme

Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
MA
City
Worcester
Hello again all!

Moms strength is that of a "rag doll". That being said transfers in the house are done by hoya lift. My hubby has been her lift for a couple of years. He's had his back fused and is waiting to have surgery on his left shoulder till we can get a handicap wheelchair van or find a way to get her in & out of our car and or van (not handicap).

We looked into a Bruno Turny in the past but it would not have worked out for us and the price of the unit and installation were astronomical!

I've been on the internet, youtube, etc to see if I could find some type of affordable gadget to get Mom from her wheelchair to the car and back.

Have tried gait belts with the beasy board (paid a small kings ransom for it!), etc. & she is dead weight which does not help on top of the fact that the wheelchair and the board need to be at the same height and are not!

I was hoping to find something lightweigt like some type of portable hoya lift...

Has anyone here figured out a way to do this or found something portable I can use for the transfers?

HI

Found a device called an ergotrans. It's a portable harness that fits around their hips with lift handles. It could work with a transfer board if you have one. (My transfer board is wood--slides very easy)

I was thinking about getting a transfer board but is a wooden board slippery enough to slide on? I was also thinking about getting a lift system to transfer in bed and bathroom. Right now I slide out of manual wheelchair onto toilet but it is getting harder. I use a lot of baby powder.

We have just bought a "take along lift"-it wasn't cheap but it works for getting someone in and out of the car-then folds so you can put it in the trunk.

We have just bought a "take along lift"-it wasn't cheap but it works for getting someone in and out of the car-then folds so you can put it in the trunk. Tried the Beasy Board-a big waste of money-thankfully, they took it back-have a bruno seat-but this helps-in fact, it makes it possible to take him.

Portable Handicap Lift from Take Along Lifts

I was thinking about getting a transfer board but is a wooden board slippery enough to slide on? I was also thinking about getting a lift system to transfer in bed and bathroom. Right now I slide out of manual wheelchair onto toilet but it is getting harder. I use a lot of baby powder.

Yes--the wooden ones are very slippery. Lots and lots of shellac, I guess. When my back goes out, I can't stand up at all--so I use my transfer board a lot to get from chair to bed.

I actually got mine for using in my classes when I teach--but have found that it's useful for me to use myself.

I teach all my students how to safely use a transfer board to go from bed to wheelchair or wheelchair to bedside commode. They work for getting in and out of a car, too.

There is also a thing made that attaches to the bottom of a car seat -- kind of a bridge from the wheelchair to the seat of the car. (found it in a search after reading the OP)

I teach all my students to protect their back at all costs--use the things that make things easier. Just because you might be able to lift someone doesn't mean you should lift them.

I also teach them to use a back brace when lifting--then to remove it when they are done (overuse of the back support can actually weaken your back muscles and cause you to injure yourself more easily--was told this by a PT and a doctor when I was a very young EMT)

Hey--there is a post today in the equipment section. Someone is selling one of those chairs for the car. Did you see it?

I noticed your post and the fact that you are from Worcester. I live in Plymouth, MA and have a Bruno turny orbit seat and a wheelchair/scooter hoist for sale that might be helpful to you. Give me a call at 508-828-8445 and let me know what type of vehicle you have. This set-up was rarely used and is half the price of new equipment. Willing to come down a bit from asking price if it helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back