Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
nl
City
st. johnès
I have been having pain in both my pinky fingers tenderness along with body wide twitches including numbness pain in mouth and tongue. Yesterday I helped my friend move a chesterfield and my left arm felt numb as i lifted like a nerve thing. Then last night i went to the gym and was about to do a shoulder squatt my left arm around the elbow starting hurt so i had to stop. My left hand feels real numb this morning. I am wondering what to make of this.

A diagnosis should come from a doctor. What does he or she say?

My doctor doesn't think it's ALS. I was referred to a neuro in October. I don't have the appointment yet. I have to see my doctor again on Tuesday.

My doctor doesn't think it's ALS.

Your doctor is right, listen to the doc! Moving furniture and gym workouts are not signs of ALS, pain and numbness not signs of ALS, stop scaring yourself!

As already said, you're very unlikely to have ALS. It doesn't begin with pain and numbness. If you were able to lift furniture, there's no weakness.

Perhaps you pulled a muscle when you lifted the chesterfield.

Pain is not an ALS symptom. Weakness is.

I'll trade your pinky finger pain for my no-op pinkys.................

Still not ALS

I have been having pain in both my pinky fingers tenderness along with body wide twitches including numbness pain in mouth and tongue. Yesterday I helped my friend move a chesterfield and my left arm felt numb as i lifted like a nerve thing. Then last night i went to the gym and was about to do a shoulder squatt my left arm around the elbow starting hurt so i had to stop. My left hand feels real numb this morning. I am wondering what to make of this.

Still not ALS. Go see your primary care doctor.

Here is a further update. I tried albeit broke the switch in trying to jam my hands down to change a headlight bulb in my car friday night. Where there is no room hardly at all i jamed my hands down in a small spot, then yesterday i changed the oil and the past couple days both hands and arms are paining. I talked with a lady this past week at the national ALS clinic and she said it would start with weakness in one arm not two and she said i would lose weight. I have gained about 20 to 25 pounds since the fall mainly due to stress. Does all this seem right in that whatever i have it's probably not ALS ?

Again, ALS is not about doing something and having pain afterwards. Let me say that again, ALS is not about doing something and having pain afterwards. ALS weakness is about not being able to do the thing at all. When I can't raise my arms to brush my teeth it doesn't hurt before during or after, there is no pain or numbness at all, I just can't raise my arms, period.

blue--even early--my first sign was WEAKNESS as in so weak I could not DO something as simple as push the locks on my Ford on their door locks--my fingers simply collapsed and couldn't push. I couldn't push the spray can of air freshener.

Whatever you have--it's not ALS--you're doing things people with ALS can't do. PAIN is NOT part of ALS as an early sign at ALL

so in a nutshell from what i've read it degenerates at first with the person not knowing until one day an arm , hand or leg simply has no strenght to function and pain is not an issue at first at all. Like one gentlemen told me here they had a birthday party for him , he drank 2 beer and his voice was slurred from the onset of bulbar when as people may have thought it was the beer. So people don't have pain for months until the weakness sets in, it's just like out of the blue something no longer works, like fine today and troublesome tomorrow. Does that make sense what i just said.

Yes, that's it. The muscle failing is gradual but steady. One day you notice that it's difficult to do something like turn a key and eventually days weeks or months later (depending on the speed of progression) you cannot turn the key. Still no pain though.

And that was me that had the 2 beer on my 52nd birthday. My already failing tongue was abnormally affected by the small amount of alcohol and it just went downhill from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back