Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ladies, could I join you for tea? My favorite is regular old Salada, but I've been drinking green tea several times a day to see if it helps with the "inflammation" in my system... took me a while to get used to it, but its ok!

We're having a heat wave here as well, it was 41° this afternoon! The snow banks are higher than my porch railing, and I'm learning to walk with the new AFO I finally got on Friday. I'm waiting for a new pair of sneakers to get here, my toes are getting smushed in my current pair so I can't really use the AFO right now.

I've been looking for 2 kinds of plant food for my son's science project (he's in 6th grade), and can't find 2 kinds this time of year... Guess not too many people looking for plant food with over 3 feet of snow on the ground.

BTW, I want to thank all of you on this forum, it has been quite a process of learning acceptance about my diagnosis, and you all have made it easier.

Helen

Helen Salada is a kind of cracker here! I am at the moment drinking freshly brewed lime flavored green tea. I have not had a cup of tea for about 6 months, but thought what the..... Can't start a tea thread and be drinking coffee. It's delicious. Maybe it will help me lose weight.

Tomby there are 14 pounds in a stone, and 2.2 pounds in a kilo.

Diane I have a cat called Kitty. She was found under a bush, toothless and covered in decomposed kitten as she has obviously been dumped in a sack on the roadside and somehow got out. The vet said she may not live so we didn't name her, hence kitty! I have some photos of her the day she arrived after her bath, on my profile page. She actually purred through the whole bathing process. Now she is 3 and a rat bag, but lovable all the same.
I am also having my tea out of a cup by the way.

Last edited:
Helen, welcome to New Zealand. hahaha. Only Aly is concerned about her manner of dress, so we must be in her yard. Helen, I am glad you're learning to accept the disease. We can say what helped us, but each has to figure it out, really... The forum, though, is great.

I'm glad to know there's more than one way to add milk to tea. My MIL was Scot and English and Phil grew up adding milk to his tea. Still does, and drinks a lot of tea. I like the "Berry" tea he got this winter. Not "Barry" but "Berry".

I have wondered about the weight of "a stone", so thank you for that bit of info. Now, Aly, I distinctly remember a sad bit of metric use. IrisMarie shared what that did to her undies sizing. It may have been in a private PM, so I'll just say our numerals are far less in that sizing.

We have had some great rescue dogs as well as cats. One dog, however, was brain damaged and while she bossed the guys around, she was crazy as a loon. Of course, they let her....? I have never had a cat purr through a bath. We also had a dog get rid of twenty some years of fleas in our house by rolling in a field covered in chicken manure. I was not a happy dog owner when she came back inside, since I had to get her into the bathtub and do the deed, but she really did put an end to fleas all by her own bad self.

Eating horse poop ewww Diane! Smart kitty though, I would be on that massage bed too! I thought the only massage beds was those in those trashy motels you put money in..haha It stays that cold there Barry?I give Tomby...How many:)

Helen you have lots of snow too! I would have figured after christmas they would have had plant food out. I mean gosh they put summer clothes out here a week after christmas.

I feel guilty drinking my Diet Pepsi instead of tea while on this thread... guess I better get the water going... and NO sugar or milk messing up with my tea, which I fill a huge mug with!

I have a black dog named Moka, she looks like a skinny black lab, but is really half golden retriever and half black german shepherd (and part fruitcake).... an orange tabby cat named Oliver who came 14 years ago from a now-defunct dairy farm... Also have a rescued cat named Liza who is black and orange, while Oliver is orange and white. Oliver rules the neighborhood, and I have to watch him if I give him catnip, he'll go and beat up Liza and Moka. Add to that the rescue turtle named Nibby who has more than doubled in size in the last 3 years, and little blue/green parakeet named Beau (short for Beau Peep), who I've now trained to fly into a small cage every night so I can take him upstairs to bed. Lost 2 other birds to the killer queen Liza, don't want to take any chance with this cute little guy. Not sure how much longer I'll be going upstairs, but I'll be putting my house on the market in April/May and am looking to downsize to a smaller house.

My kids are Linnea (17), who's a junior in high school (11th grade for those of you with a different school setup), Andrew who just turned 14 in January (8th grade), and Matt, who is 11 1/2 (the one who needs the plant food for his 6th grade science project). Linnea knows my diagnosis, but the boys don't... yet... I won't tell them any more about what's going on until they ask me specifically. The boys are both in Boy Scouts and I'm trying to save some money for them to go the the big trip to Alaska this year! They've been doing all kinds of fundraisers as well, unfortunately most of which involve me participating (anyone want to buy a Pancake Breakfast "all you can eat" ticket for $5?)

Hey, does anyone in NZ watch the Superbowl? What is the time difference anyway? We're getting pizza and bbq and buffalo wings for the "event", though I really don't care who wins (since the New England Patriots blew it!), but I'm going to root for Pittsburgh, since my Dad was born there. I love the commercials and the half-time show, the game's an afterthought this year. Dallas has had some snowy issues as well, guess a bunch of people were hurt yesterday by the ice falling off the Dome of the superbowl arena. It's been quite the crazy winter!

Helen, what kind of plant foods do you need? Coffee grounds are good for high nitrogen and acidic soil... Around here "Miracle Grow" is pretty much a staple, since there's a kind (may be the original) used on houseplants.

I drink "Cyber Drinks" because to be honest, I'm usually in bed when I post... or if at the Pub, I want chocolate. Of course we can have chocolate with our tea, right?

Diane, Miss Kitty isn't stupid...

Hey Helen, no we don't have anything as weird and hard to understand as superbowl, well if you don't count Rugby!
I am assuming that superbowl is American football?

I had a Ginger cat called Oliver. He just disappeared 2 years ago. He was my daughter Olivias cat and she was devastated. She now has a silver bur man called Belle, and counts Kitty as her own. Olivia is leaving home for university next week and will miss them terribly.

My 12 year old just found out that he has won the Cornelia Funke writing competition. She is a great author who wrote many books but her latest was called Reckless. He won out of the whole world. Went off to school rather pleased with himself. He wants to be an author, so a great test.

Helen I am sorry about your diagnosis and your young family. My heart bleeds from you. My family did not take it well when I had a much less serious ALS diagnosis. So will be thinking of you. It went clear over the head of my 12 year old (11at the time).
Aly

Last edited:
I found Miracle Grow (I had some, but the mini-shed I have for the plants is buried in snow!) at Walmart, but they didn't have a comparable store brand, and my "go-to" place doesn't have yet this year... it has to be specifically the same stuff for the science project, otherwise I wouldn't care at all. Guess I'll be checking out Home Depot tomorrow!

Definitely, chocolate goes with EVERYTHING!

Hey Helen how do you keep up with all your animals, it's hard for me to keep up with 2. I am watching the superbowl. Gotta love those comercials!Go Packers!

Thanks Aly, I seem to have a pretty slow progressing version, and I still think that I may have something more similar to what my Dad had (and he didn't have ALS)... but for now, I have to realize that it quite possibly is true, and I better take care of things financially for my kids' sake. (Their Dad is pretty hopeless about these things, and I worry about them for that as well).

Well, the team I picked is getting crushed, so off to eat more pizza!

I don't think either one of the boys is ready to learn the whole truth, they're understanding that Mom needs more assistance and overall have been good (except for picking up the #(&(# living room!)

Hi Joni, why are you rooting for the Packers? I just arbitrarily picked one, my team was out)

The kids are SUPPOSED to be doing more with the pets than they really do, but it only takes a few minutes... and luckily, I work out of the house so am home when Moka noses me to go out, the cats meow (or scratch, dammit!) to go up or down cellar, etc.

I'd love to join your tea party, ladies. I like to have my tea with just a bit of sugar in a big mug, although I can vividly remember my mom drinking tea in her bone china cups with her friend. I also like the idea of hot chocolate, or how about a hot buttered rum - I have a great recipe for home made mix.

Diane, my dog Riley would love to come chase deer and eat "snacks" with Max! She is the great protector of our yard. Helen, I have some worm castings I send can you for your sons's project. They are supposed to be fantastic fertilizer.

Jo

Attachments

• IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Cause my husband has me pulling for them Helen Haha! You know kids eat,and eat, and don't like to clean, and oh if you get a pet it is our place to see about them.:) Hey Jo, now hot buttered rum sounds pretty darn good!

Darn, just lost my message! What a great picture, Moka would be over there licking the little one to death! We have deer, coyotes and wild turkeys here in town, and I'm just 25 miles west of Boston.

Jo, my sons are going to Alaska this July with their Boy Scout troop! Unbelievable trip for them, this is their first big trip.

I'm with you about the hot chocolate, hot buttered rum, etc. Heating up some water right now, 'cause I'm not going outside, even to Dunkin Donuts!

Helen

Well girls I thought that I would try and even up the boy girl side of things and post a few details.

I don't have any pets myself although my partner has a dog called Polly a bitsa dog and several cats called you bugger, bloody hell or worse when they don't do what is expected, like stay outside and catch mice.:lol:

I have a tea for breakfast, but it is a stock standard supermarket one. Coffee and water during the day and at night during warmer days, like now a beer, Coopers of course. During cooler days a port or rum and coke etc. Some days more than one :lol:.

Enough for now, have to keep a few things from you, especially the "baker":lol:

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back