Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MI
City
Anywhere
Just to start, I am not posting this because I think I have ALS. I posted that I was having some swallowing problems (nothing severe) and many of the members do not, in any way, believe I have ALS from my symptoms. It's still in the back of my mind from time to time, however.

I just thought of a question that could calm many people's nerves.

"What are the numerical odds of having ALS at a very young age?" By young I mean under 25 (no offense to anyone).

I do know the life-time odds of having ALS are something like 1:1000, but I thought a number should be thrown out there for those young worriers, other than "very low." If anyone has a clue on the estimated odds and you could answer this question, that would be great.

hi nick . . .i am 34 and despite being 16 years older than you i was told it would be unlikely . . Remember how rare this illness is . . I believe that its somewhere around 1 in 100.000. . . For people under 25 it would increase again and when you throw in the fact that its the bulbar onset that interests you it becomes astronomical odds . . So to summerise the chances of you having a rare disease that rarely strikes anyone under 40 with the rarest of onset is very low . . I am no expert but just passing on what i have learnt from the wonderful people here . . Nick go and enjoy your life . . Your too young to worrying about things like this . .your at a wonderful age . . In a great country . . . Hope this helps . . Good luck and god bless . . . Alex

Thanks for the reply, help me calm down even more. I don't what my obsession is with ALS. I realize cancer causing my swallowing problems would be more likely than ALS...and I'm not saying I think I have cancer in/near the throat. The people on here have really helped me calm down, however.

nick. . Glad i helped you to remain calm . for what its worth feeling anxious is perfectly natural . . Check out my name . But as best you can try to forget about als . . And with the best of intentions stay away from anything on the internet about als . . Good luck my friend . . Alex

It is verrrrry rare but does occur! My husband was 32 when he was diagnosed-limb onset. We looked up youtube videos one day because he wanted to see what it was going to be like and there was a video of a 16 year old on there-not saying I personally know the person in the video or anything but thats what it says!

Very sorry to hear that Amber. I'll pray for ya'll.

My spouse was 28years old at the time he was diagnosed. He calls himself a freek because he has familial ALS( rare), 28yrs of age( rare), rapidly progressing, alergic to the IVIG treatment, alergic to the tape and bandage for his hicman catheter. As if this disease wasn't bad enough!
I wouldn't wish this disease on my worst enemy. Good luck to us all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back