Learn about ALS
Country
Aus
State
Victoria
City
Melbourne
Hi,
First all happy new year to all. This site has been most useful to me but as I am becoming more and more anxious I felt the need to post and get some advice. I have a Nuero appt on the 13th of this month but the waiting is driving me crazy and I am anxious beyond belief and would love to get some feedback before then.
I am a 42 yo male.
About a year ago I started to jog and as the muscles built up in my calves I noticed one was less developed and smaller than the other. I went to a physio an he said that it is quite usual for peoples bodies to be not symetrical. The reason I bring this up as that I know that one calf has been smaller for some time but not sure (but at least a year).
I am an anxious person by nature. About 6weeks ago my GP put me on Paroxitene. Shortly after my muscles in both calf's started crawling / twitching with no pain or sensation. About two weeks ago I went back to him and he recommended that I see a Neuro and that I go off the Paroxitene. There have been some pretty bad withdrawl systems including increased anxiety / depression.
The other symtom I have experience is that when my hand is on the PC mouse at work it feel weak and I have been a typing a little uncomfortably / clumsily and my forearm starts to ache a little. Now understand I am world's no. 1 at focussing on a little sensation in my body and really 'fleshing it out' - especially after reading the internet about twitching and ALS.
I have come to the point where I am doing all the calf strenth tests eg calf raises, walking b/wards downstairs, skipping etc and all OK (FWIW).
My smaller calf is sore now, probably because of all the strength tests but of course in my mind it points to something more sinister and I am focussing on it.
I am petrified about ALS / MND and it really isn;t fair on my family as I am so preoccupied with this but I really cant help it.
Can anyone offer any advice?
Thanks very much all....and again happy NY.

the only thing i can suggest is try not to get your mind to run wild there are over 30 muscle dieases and we never know what one it could be , you are going to have to learn paitence and get to the nuro and do test and they will find out what it is all about .. wishing you the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back