Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Waterloo
Eddie's 26 yr old son and his 31 yr old daughter in law, were causing a lot of problems, they were supposed to be up here helping to take care of Eddie and giving me a break. Stuff kept disappearing. So finaly I called them on the items that had disappeared. They decided they should leave on their own.

We heat the home with wood and propane gas. The kids filled the stove with as much wood as it would hold, lit it, and nailed the doors shut so nobody could get in and left.

My son John walked outside and smelled a really hot fire. He managed to bust into the little house and pull the wood from the stove and throw it out in the snow. What kind of children does Eddie have? Did it not even pop into their head that their stupidity could have caused a fire in the big house we live in?

How would we have gotten Eddie out?

They came here to take advantage of the fact that that Ed was ill and I was preoccupied taking care of him.

Anyone else have this problem with their children?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is absolutely horrible. I am so sorry that you had to experience this. Obviously you are better off without these people in your life!

You said they left on thier own. I say good never take them back they are both old enough to survive together.

Fire is the one thing I really worry about with people living with people with ALS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is horrible! But isn't it also a criminal act? It sounds like they deliberately did that to start a fire? Wow. Just shaking my head here. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

I'm sorry, but that is REALLY criminal!

If a stranger came to Eddie's property and did the same, they would be arrested for arson.

Do NOT let these IDIOTS back!

Wow. I'm not sure what I'd do in a situation like that. How do you wind up with kids that would do that sort of thing? Not a judgement, mind you, it's just so far out there that I can't imagine it. I guess I'd call the cops. Tough to do though, when it's your own kids.

Dick

I know that I would be able to forgive my children for anything if they asked for forgiveness. That doesn't mean that they are free of the consequences of thier actions, though. I think I would have to call the police. Tough call.

They nailed the door shut? I think that speaks volumes about their intentions. For your safety and Eddie's, the police should be made aware that this took place. I wouldn't be surprised if the words "restraining order" weren't also recommended. Please do what you need to in order to keep yourselves safe. My heart hurts that you went through this.

Personally, I would be completely irrate. There is no logical excuse for this, unless they both are mentally challenged and truly didnt know what could happen. I dont want to get into the forgiveness part of it- i dont think its forgivable.
Sounds to me like the police need to be contacted and someone needs to give the both of them a fine ass whooping.
Seriously.

Oh- Sorry i didnt mention it in the above post- got a little carried away-
Im very sorry this happened to you guys. How horrifying. Glad to know everyone was ok.

Shelly, I think a restraining order is very appropriate... I agree with telling the police. It has nothing to do with forgiveness. It has to do with not being murdered. I am so sorry for both you and Eddie, but they need serious attending to. I hope you are able to find a way to get caregiving help, and the ALSA comes to mind. I'm told by them we can get respite care from their grants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back