Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
US
State
NY
City
Chateaugay
I am looking for some kind of a device where my father can be paged if my mom needs his help. We are not looking for a medical alert device yet. My father does not like to leave my mom alone too long, but likes to go visit his brother who only live about one tenth of a mile away from him. Does anyone know of a device where my mother could push a button and if my dad had a pager it would alert him that she needed help. I have seen other things that work that way but the range is not big enough. I have thought about two way radios with the alarm button, but my mom would have to keep it with her all the time. I should also add that her speech is pretty much gone now so using the phone is not an option.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dana

Walkie talkies will do that........they are made to tuck into a belt or even a neckline/ I clip mine to the wheelchair.

My mom had a special phone...I am not sure of the brand (I can look when I get home tonight). But it was a speaker phone that could be activated by voice. When she progressed to a wheelchair and couldn't get to the phone or pick it up when it was ringing, she could just say "hello" and the speaker phone would pick up. The phone also had a clicker that was a few inches long that you could program (to correspond to the phone) to click one time to automatically call one person, or click two times to automatically call another person, etc. This was what my mom used throughout her illness to get in contact with me when she needed me (during the night for example). I would just always keep my phone on me and turned on, and that way I was always just a phone call away. She could even use this once she got very progressed....she came up with the trick to put some velcro around the clicker so that it could wrap around her ankle. Her legs were pretty much the only thing she had any use in during the end. She could just squeeze her ankles together and it would call me. Very helpful tool for us!

Oh, and I forgot to add...my mom's speech very bad too. We just used the general rule of if my phone rang while I was gone or in the other room and it was her, I would assume she needed help.

There was system that I think Ann (abbas child) posted about where she wears a pendant around her neck and when pressed it would dial up to four numbers that you programmed. I forget the system name and cant find the thread now but it sounded ideal because it was only about $50 and it just plugs into your home phone line and there are no subscription fees and the numbers which it dials can be any number, either a cell phone or a land line or both.

If I can find it I will let you know.

my son program his phone number on my computer so if i need him , i just text him. that allows him a little freedom.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Barry if you can find more information for me that would be great. We may try the two way radios also. I guess it is just a matter of trying different things until we find the best one. Thanks again.

Dana

Dana, I found the post where Ann described what she has and here is the link to her post.

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/gen...-dumpty-al-takes-great-fall-2.html#post117421

I went to the website and it looks like a great system that is inexpensive and has no fees. Because David frowns on links to product websites I am not going to post it but if you enter http:// followed by x10.com/security/pa5800_s.html into your browser's URL window you will go right there.

I am considering ordering one for myself.

Damn!They only deliver over there

Thanks for the help Barry, I will look into that.

Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back