Very helpful member
Country
US
State
michigan
City
oakland twp
Hello~

I have been debating about posting an update or not. I dont have a high comfort level about it. I have had people pm me or ask how my appt went. I also, know how it feels to be un diagnosed and wonder what ever happen to those that had simliar sx and have not posted in a year and how they are doing. I dont want to be insensitive to any pals either. But, I decided to post an update for anyone that knows my story over the last 2+ yrs OR a new person who is un diagnosed and fearful.

Some know my sx started over 2 yrs ago. Quick recap for new people: They are like what everyone has, twitching all over and including tongue sometimes, hoarse voice, weakness, muscle thinning & atrophy(most recent visit confirmed I do have atrophy of calf), cant work out anymore (but use to play tennis 2 hrs a day 4x a week), myoclonus (legs and arms and wrist, hand anything just jerking all around), tremor, stiff thumb and index fingers, muscle pain and achy cramp feeling in hands and feet, lost a shoe size, jello legs and arms tire out while lifting them or mixing pancake batter. I could go on but you get the drift. It seems I have everything at one time or another someone posts about. Other than anything physical I do fine around the house and with kids and getting out, so cant complain.

I went to the Als/mda clinic at teaching hospital and saw the professor of neurology there and she heads the als clinic. I started going in start of 08, and other than brisk reflexes, slight jaw jerk, couldnt move toes up and essential tremor the clinical and emg was clean. I went again in start of 09 as things never got better but slowly worse. Another clean emg/ncv and clinical was basically the same as 08. I was told no als. I really felt I would move on and get this out of my head and did for a long time. At the end of this year(09) things were getting bad, The sx that wax and waned were now with me everyday and I was getting new twitches and myoclonus and noted a new atrophy spot on my front shin area. From hands to elbow and feet to knee it was bad with weakness and stiff feeling. Also a dent showing up on forearm now. I was really stressed and made an appt for last week, it had been one year and I was on the 'wait and see' mode, so I wanted to see. I felt 100% that something would show or develop because I felt so worse. And, this doc has seen me from the start and would see any real changes.

Last Friday I had a 4 limb emg/ncv and it was clean. They did both shoulders, biceps, forearms, and fdi's. They did both thighs, inner thigh, 2 spots on calf. I asked for them to my back as my back is in pain a lot and they said NO, that with NOT one abnormality in any of the 4 limbs that the back would not show anything. My clinical was the same, knee reflexes still slightly brisk at 2+ but symmetrical and arms were normal. I have not in these 2+ yrs developed babinski or hoffmans. Clinically no weakness. So, this is good news. She said the dent on my forearm is not where a muscle would atrophy, it is spot where mixed connective tissue and ligaments are, the same for the outer ankle dent? I guess, but still a dent. Plus, again she emg'd that forearm. Same with fdi muscle, that is a lot thinner on me but still clean. The only spot she said yes to atrophy was on my front inner shin area. She did the emg on it and it was clean and I can do heel and toe walk on it. She said that I have lost muscle in my calfs and she has seen in men not a women (in her practice) with a sort of benign calf atrophy that does that and then stops, lets hope so. I do know that since the neuro identified it as atrophy and emg'd and not one issue that it really cant be due to als. I asked about myopthy and she felt the emg did not show that and I had a muscle biopsy done last summer that she said she personally reviewed with entire neurology dept and it was fine. So, she really had no real direction for me as far as nuero/muscle disease. She also told me that when a muscle changes shape but is still strong as far as functioning and clean emg then they dont (or her) worry about it. So, if she is not then I guess I should not?!

So, not sure where that leaves me. I will try my rheumy again and see what happens there. If I Find out what I have or what could be going on, I will post it for other un diagnosed that have these odd sx that seem similar to mnd. My husband said on the way home that this may be a new body for me and we may not get answers or I may not get better but I am blessed to be as functional as I am. He is right, and I do notice that when I push myself my sx get worse so I need to learn to listen to my body.

I pray for every single pal/caregiver on this site, truly courageous. I have learned a lot about the human spirit. I dont post a lot anymore but over the last 2 yrs from reading these forums I have begun to care for those that I have never met, cry deep tears for those suffering, laugh at wonderful personalities, and felt inspired by these journeys. I find I want to check in and read how you are all doing.....I am not sure how to close this. Most things such as 'take care' or 'blessings' seem trivial in light of the matter.

April

Thanks April for the update but sorry you are no closer to knowing what is going on. It's great that you have not had any significant progression. Please keep in touch.

AL.

April - I feel for you, as you have been going through this for so long with no answers...no news is good news though, I would think. I think that just taking the dr's word for it for it is probably the best thing you could do. You have been really supportive to so many people on here who are going through the same thing, including myself, and I just want to thank you. Keep in touch.
Katina

Congrats,
April, It looks like you may have some sort of auto-immune thing going on. Clean emg's are a reason to celebrate.

Last edited by a moderator:
April dear,
I am so glad things did not progress that much. I know that this does not make things easy. I really am glad you keep us in the loop, we care about you, and were thinking of you. I sure hope you get to the bottom of this crap, or you just get better one morning. Please visit often, we are thnking of you.

April,

Thank you for your update. I am so glad the EMG's were clean. Hopefully somewhere there is an answer for what's going on, and hopefully things just start getting better on their own.

Best wishes,

Robert

April,
Do your muscles feel "dead" or burn after a too-short period of using them? (For example, after a while, walking like a duck because pushing off at the ankles seems too hard, but being OK after resting).

And have you looked at supplements for energy, antioxidants, etc.? I started a bunch 2 years ago from reading about people hit hard with similar symptoms and really felt a (bad) difference when I quit for a while in December. Feel free to PM if you would like. (I don't want to to clutter up an ALS board with supplement discussions).

April,

As frustrating as it is to not have answers, at least you did not get bad news.

What you said about how no one is promised tomorrow is so true. I think of this so often when reading posts, especially on the Do I Have ALS forum.

Don't give up hope of getting back to your old self. There's always hope!

Hello April,

I am glad you have posted your update as I also have wondered about those of us posting a year+ ago, still undiagnosed of anything as of today, but still declining. I have also accepted that maybe this is just what my body is going to be like from now on, and am grateful that I can still get around. Clearly it can be so much worse. I do NOT take any of what I can still do for granted. I know that there but for the grace of God go I. I just wanted to let you know that I understand what you are going through,

Lydia

Hi April,
Glad to see you back,Your symptoms sound so much like my husbands & it's been 4yrs & he still doesn't have a diagnosed either .The neuro says motor neuron but all his emg's are clean too ,H e does have pos babinski's though,muscle wasting & fasci all over.And I could go on with more symptoms but i won't. it is very frustrating.God Bless .
Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back