Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Strongsville
My husband was diagnosed in the fall of 08 and has pretty extensive trunk involvement. Because of this he is having lots of breathing difficulties. He's on a bipap at night. He's pretty comfortable laying on his back or sitting in a recliner, but any other movement is really difficult as he bends in half and it cuts off his breathing. I don't know how to help him as he gasps for air as he moves from one room to another w/his rollator. Any suggestions?

Kat

Kat, I can not help you as we are not there yet. Hang on, someone will answer and WELCOME!

The only way I found to deal with this is to use a power wheelchair and recline it.

Sorry, I can't think of any other way.

My husband was diagnosed in the fall of 08 and has pretty extensive trunk involvement. Because of this he is having lots of breathing difficulties. He's on a bipap at night. He's pretty comfortable laying on his back or sitting in a recliner, but any other movement is really difficult as he bends in half and it cuts off his breathing. I don't know how to help him as he gasps for air as he moves from one room to another w/his rollator. Any suggestions?

Kat

He could get a portable Bi-Pap and get a nostril insert like in this video.

YouTube- ALS SUCKS 9

He will be able to function much better during the day with the BI-PAP.

Hi Kat. Welcome but sorry about your hubby. is there any way to move the handles on the walker higher so he could walk more upright?

AL.

Thanks all for your suggestions. We will give them a try. It's so difficult to know what to do. We are grateful for this forum.

Kat

I was thinking the same thing as AL.. It should be possible to raise the rollator so that he is standing more upright... check with his physical therapist. If the one he is using cannot be adusted, he may need a different rollator to provide more support, otherwise I agree with Joel (see.. it does happen!).. may be time to start looking into a power chair.

Talk with the Physical Therapist about a trunk support brace. They very from a corsett type brace with "bones" to hard shell plastic and are used for back and spinal cord injuries but might offer support in your husbands case.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back