So what's on the menu for Christmas dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesl

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
Aus
State
NSW
City
Sydney
My Mum can only eat puree or the very softest of foods. I'm trying to think of what I can have on the table for Christmas dinner so she doesn't feel left out while everyone else tucks into ham and roast beef. I thought maybe salmon mousse? Maybe some creamed potatoes that everyone can have, and I can puree hers.

My cousin is making a frozen Christmas dessert; I've asked her to puree some of it before she freezes it.

What is everyone else doing to make sure they can partake of the traditional feast?

sesl

Gravy is good, how about a jelly salad with whipped cream in it?Lots of egg nog with cream.creamed dips are good.Cheese cake without the crust.puree some peas?turkey pate?

Its sooooo tricky! My husband is PEG fed but still eats a small soft meal and I too want him to join us for Xmas dinner and for him to enjoy it so my menu is something like :

cauliflower in cheese sauce (cauliflower cooked till very soft)
creamy mashed potatoes
swede and carrott boiled together then whizzed down with loads of butter
sausagemeat balls mixed with pureed turkey and sage and onion
marrowfat tinned peas whizzed into a thick puree
bread sauce
and loads and loads of gravy.

Infact the more I think about it the better it is sounding.

I also think a nice rich and creamy ice cream for dessert.

RACHEL

This is going to be a rough Christmas for me because all that good food and I can't eat any of it (if it won't flow it wont go). The only thing that I can swallow now is my smoothie so I have "Christmasized" it by replacing the whipping cream with egg nog. Here is the recipe

1 package vanilla or strawberry Carnation Instant Breakfast
2/3 cup Eggnog
1/3 cup milk
1 banana
1 serving yogurt
2 tablespoons ground flax
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1/2 apple
1/4 to 1/2 cup frozen fruit like strawberries, raspberries or cranberries

Blend until smooth and then enjoy. I haven't put any rum in it yet because it is my breakfast but I may try a little sometime soon.

I really like the food ideas on this thread, keep them coming.

Another thing that is good in smoothies is coconut milk. It is very rich and smooth. Also there are various "alternative" claims that it is good for you, and can help specifically with Alzheimer's and other neuro diseases including ALS. Supposedly the coconut oil gets turned into ketones which can supply an alternative source of energy for the brain. I can't vouch for that but I've been using it in my coffee and cereal lately and I really like it.

Thanks Hal, I will try the coconut milk. The dairy does play hell with my mouth goo so maybe the coconut will work better.

Watch out coconut milk is also used as a laxative!

Yikes! thanks for the warning Colleen. Not what I need, at least not right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back