09/2017
Country
SP
State
NY
City
Lugo
Hello, and Merry Christmas!

I am writing to ask you a question about the daily chores. My father has retired about a year ago and has been suffering from PLS for 3 years. Since then, he spends most mornings doing chores: aside from showering himself and getting dressed, he cooks for the family, sets the table, and cleans a little bit.

In a sense, I think that he likes to feel useful, and doubtlessly some of the exercises, such as peeling potatoes, might help him with dexterity. But I wonder if it is advisable to continue doing this. I have been thinking about hiring someone to do those things so that my father can be liberated to do more appropriate muscle exercises, swim some laps, or pedal on our electric bike (he still does those things but mainly in the afternoon and not every day). On the one hand, I am not sure it is psychologically advisable since he does like feeling useful. On the other hand, I wonder if he should perhaps be focusing more on exercises that are suited to help him retain muscle function...

What do people think? I would appreciate comments from both patients and caregivers...

Best,
E.

Exercise (which includes cooking, BTW) to keep up range of motion/circulation and reduce spasticity is good. But these do not "retain" muscle function" past a certain point. The nerves die regardless as they are under biochemical attack.

Exercise/activity to exhaustion taps into reserves that are already working harder than in normal people.

From your description, he is doing a balance of activities and that's all to the good. Plus, I think you are right that he enjoys contributing to family life and there is no swimming or biking that substitutes for that.

So I would let him know that if/when he wants help with household chores/personal care, you'll help make that happen, and repeat the offer periodically, but at the moment, I don't see any indication for that.

Likewise, best wishes for the solstice season to all...

--Laurie

This is where waking up and doing what he still can meets ALS. While we are actively dying we still have things we like to do. As long as he isn't exhausted after, he isn't made of glass or completely useless. We all need a reason to get up of a morning......
Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back