Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Wa
City
Tacoma
I’m sorry to be back but, I feel as if things could be progressing. I’ve noticed what I believe to be muscle wasting of the outer muscles on my right foot. I also have a large “dent” in my calf. My whole leg feels unstable and fatigued. I walk on my instep and I’m afraid this is happening because my ankle is not strong enough to support my foot.

I’ve attached a couple of pictures. I know atrophy cannot be diagnosed from pictures, but if you could give me a clue as to if this is alarming. I also have some kind of dimple or wasting above my knee in the vastus medialis muscle.

No clinical weakness yet. Most of my twitches are in the areas where the muscle seems to be smaller, but I do get random ones body wide. I’m just concerned that I’m continuing to see what I believe to be scary signs. I haven’t seen a neuro or had an EMG my pcp was very unfazed when I showed him my knee and mentioned twitching. He did a very simple strength test.

Attachments

• 432AABC2-F2C6-4546-BBD8-E270BEB3C643.jpg
    432AABC2-F2C6-4546-BBD8-E270BEB3C643.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 6,164
  • 33E18307-888E-4F99-9668-3E65CE859893.jpg
    33E18307-888E-4F99-9668-3E65CE859893.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7,259
My advice to see a podiatrist stands. S/he can help clarify whether your gait issue represents nerve dysfunction or a mechanical problem, and help with/refer for correction, either way. Unstable gait can lead to falls, not a good thing for anyone.

Of course, you can see a neuro, too, but again, you haven't described any "scary signs" in re neuromuscular disease. Rather than fear the future, I would take care of the present.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I will definitely make an appointment to speak to my doctor and get it figured out. I’ve just been afraid that this could be the early stages of ALS and I’m not ready to hear any bad news. Again, thank you very much for your help.

If this was atrophy due to ALS would I expect to have some kind of failure by now? My whole right leg seems smaller as does my arm and they’re both just off. There may be actual weakness in my arm. I feel like my right side is just slumped. I have an appointment to see my pcp next week so hoping for some answers. I just feel like I’m noticing so many changes since I went for my knee in January it’s hard not to worry.

Attachments

• B090D17A-D686-4C6E-B03F-FA336D3421EF.jpg
    B090D17A-D686-4C6E-B03F-FA336D3421EF.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,252
Pictures generally don’t help us much and are not a substitute for a good physical exam from a physician.

If you don’t have clinical weakness on an exam from a physician and you don’t have muscle function failure, then you don’t have ALS.

The most common cause for limb asymmetry would be a biomechanical problem. Physical therapy is often beneficial.

But you haven’t described anything that would be of concern for ALS.

Just back to update. I hope that’s okay. Hoping it can stop someone else from worrying a little bit.

My pcp checked my strength and said it was equal on both sides. He did note I had a flat foot on my right side which is my problematic side. He wants me to wear orthotics and exercise and go back in a couple of months.

So, basically, trust the people of this board. They are very knowledgeable and lgelb (sorry I don’t know your name!) hit the nail on the head. Thanks to you and Karen for taking the time to address my concerns.

Thanks for checking in. As you note, seeing what happened can help others in a similar boat.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back