Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Per
State
Lima
City
Lima
Hello everyone, my name is San and this is the very first time I'm actually posting here on the Forums. To start off, I need to make clear that all of you who are currently fighting this terrible malady and all of you who offered your aid to a loved one in their fight against it have my greatest of respects, I admire you all brave fighters.

However, please allow for me to introduce to you what brings me here. I'm currently a 17 y/o (male) taking the IB Diploma, and for the last 2 months, I have experienced a series of symptoms which have triggered in me the deepest of fears. About 2 months ago, I was seating down typing when suddenly, my right-hand little finger started twitching incessantly, which at first I ignored (this happened on the night of February the 20th), and once I was done typing I merely went to bed without thinking much of it, however once I woke up the following morning, the twitching had spread all throughout my body, literally from head to toes. A week passed and the twitching kept on going, leading me to ask my parents for an appointment with my GP. Once the appointment took place, I expressed to him my fear of it being ALS (of course by this point I had made the mistake of asking Dr. Google about the twitching), and he said that taking into account my age (after all I'm but 17), and the nature of the twitching (body-wide and without any sign of weakness nor atrophy), it was either BFS (Benign Fasciculation Syndrome) or a heavy outbreak of anxiety.

About a week later, I started experiencing sudden "electric shock"-like zaps of pain in different areas throughout my whole body, which lead to me calling my GP yet again, whom at this asked for me to describe the pain to him, which he concluded was merely nerve pain benign in nature. (I must say that the fact that I've been experiencing it was reassuring on regards to my ALS fears for how as you all very well know, "ALS is about failing, not feeling").

In conclusion, this has been how I've experienced the previous 2 months, without any form of progression on regards to the twitching nor the nerve pain. As a matter of fact, the intensity of the twitching has been slowly decreasing ever since I woke up with them happening all around my body.

I admire each and every single one of you for your courage and your valiancy in fighting or helping fight ALS, you are all in my deepest and most loving thoughts, and I'm sorry if I've made you waste your precious time yet I'm the need of some reassurance.

Again, I thank you all from the most deep and loving section of my heart.

You're pretty bright, so you already know you don't have ALS. Your doctor knows it, too.
Now, reading your post, I can say you did not describe anything that would be ALS.
I don't see any reason to worry about ALS.
Get out of the house, go enjoy life with friends. You're at a fantastic age right now--don't waste it thinking about a disease you don't have.

I'm deeply thankful for your answer, I must say that after wandering up and down this Forum for so long now, your comments are always truly a very potent voice of reason to those anxious as myself. As you put it, I believe that on a conscious level, I'm very well aware that I do not have ALS, yet my anxiety truly is driving me towards the deep end of fear. At this moment I believe it must either be Hyperthyroidism (which as a matter of fact runs in my family) or some form of calcium deficiency (yet the only thing supporting the calcium theory would be that following a glass of milk, the twitching seemingly died down considerably). However, if I can bother you with a question, may I ask if you know of any case of ALS on which Generalized Twitching came before any form of muscular or nervous degeneration? I wasn't able to find any. Again, sorry for bothering, and I truly appreciate you answered, thank you so very much.

I'm not answering the question, I'm focusing on getting you well.

You said your anxiety is causing you to...waste time here. I think your anxiety is warping your view of reality. Anxiety is very powerful.

I don't know if you have some other disease, but we know you need to get that anxiety fixed before it ruins your life. Go, get it fixed.

I very much appreciate it your words Mike, I'm truly, deeply thankful. I already consulted with my parents and I'm meeting up with a psychologist next week, again, I'm very, very thankful for having aided me. I admire you all in a definitely superlative manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back