US
State
CA
City
Ca
PBS to air So Much So Fast - April 3, 2007

FRONTLINE 9pm

3/13/2007

Beginning with Stephen Heywood’s ALS diagnosis at the age of 29, "So Much So Fast" offers a window into the Heywood family’s battle against ALS and the birth of ALS TDF (now the ALS Therapy Development Institute).

When he was 29 years old, Stephen Heywood was diagnosed with ALS -- also called Lou Gehrig's disease -- and told he had 2-5 years to live. But Stephen and his family refused to accept a death sentence. The film follows the Heywoods' passionate, acerbic and relentlessly hopeful reaction to a disease that transforms their lives. They confront ALS with courage and humor, and, surrounded by friends and family, upend the clichés of their situation.

For more information about channel and check viewing time in your area, please visit: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/

About FRONTLINE:

Since January 1983, FRONTLINE has served as American public television's - PBS - flagship public affairs series. Hailed upon its television broadcast debut as "the last best hope for broadcast documentaries," FRONTLINE's stature over 23 years is reaffirmed each week through incisive documentaries covering the scope and complexity of the human experience.

Since its inception, FRONTLINE has never shied away from tough, controversial issues or complex stories. In an age of anchor celebrities and snappy sound bites, FRONTLINE remains committed to providing a primetime venue for engaging documentaries that fully explore and illuminate the critical issues of our times. FRONTLINE remains the only regularly scheduled long-form public-affairs documentary series on American television, producing more hours of documentary programming than all the commercial networks combined.

About "So Much So Fast":

From Oscar-nominated directors Steven Ascher and Jeanne Jordan Troublesome Creek, comes a black-humored cliffhanger of romance, guerilla science and the meaning of time.

For more information about the film and its creators, please visit its official website at: http://www.westcityfilms.com/smsf.html

so much so fast

tonight's broadcast on PBS/frontline

I didn't catch this on TV, but a member of Kathy's (my sister) support group was able to bring the movie to Minneapolis. I thought it was a very well-made movie. Depressing as hell, but really showed ALS from all angles.

Did anyone else watch it? What did you think?

Marcia

Hi Marcia,

Rich and I (CALS) and Pat (PALS) saw it together. Definitely well-made - saw a family with lots of resources hang together and take this on with courage. Very unusual family in that they were well educated in the sciences and able to start a research foundation. Also, as I understand it, the mechanical engineer brother really customized Stephen's wheelchair and other electronic aids.

As much a story of a specific family as about ALS. Showed a young family with small child trying to be normal. Also the unraveling of his brother's marriage.

Would like to see a story about a regular family and the care aspects of ALS. The equipment necessary, the decisions that need to be made, the ways that people without means have to manage with poor or no equipment.

I did like how some things were normalized - such as tube feedings. They really are no big deal.

Stephen, himself, came off as a very thoughtful and well-adjusted individual - coping with what was dealt to him.

I was thrilled to see something like that on prime-time. Yet there is still so much more to be told. Beth

Hi Beth. The National Film Board of Canada has a DVD in their Bearing Witness program titled Robert Coley Donahue. They followed him for 3 years and I think it is what you are looking for. The DVD is $20 Canadian. It is a moving and gut wrenching story of a man living with ALS. No BS, no subtle hints for donations, just real life. I think it is a must see for anyone affected by ALS
AL.

Hi Al - Thanks! I'm going to look that up online and order it. I remember the Canadian Film Board from school days - a very high quality outfit. I'm looking forward to seeing the film. Thanks again - Beth

Hi Al.
I'm from Alberta - where can I order that DVD?
Thanks,
Beaner

Hi there beaner. Your husband was a firefighter wasn't he? I was to for almost 33 years. You can order the dvd from www.nfb.ca Go to the site and search for the Bearing Witness Series. The Robert Coley Donahue story is the name of it. It is a very moving story. You'll probably want a box of Kleenex handy.
AL.

I tried to find that dvd but I couldn't find it. Is there a better link for us in USA?

Hi Georgia. As far as I know the NFB films are only available through them. Did you try using the site and couldn'y find it? Or did you not find it locally. One good thing about buying Canadian is that $20 Canadian is only $18 US. with the exchange rate. If you couldn't find it on the NFB site let me know and I'll get another link.
AL.

Used the site and could not find it.

Ok go to the site click html next to welcome. Next window has find a film on left of page about 5 topics down. Click there and window opens with find a film. Type bearing witness in and search. Another window opens with the bearing witness programs and the Robert Coley-Donohue story is the 3rd one down. Click on order information and new window opens. Click US and home use. Click open store. They have a 1-800 number or you can order online. I'd call them because they say online that the film is $39.95 which seems a little crazy because it's only $20 here.
AL.

Hi Al,
Yes, my husband was a firefighter - I kind of gathered by your symbol you were too. Which department did you work for? My husband worked for the Department of National Defence - CFB Suffield, but did all of his training in Camp Borden in Ontario. We lived there (in Barry with close friends - he was chief of Borden's Firehall) for 4 months just after we were married 24 yrs. ago - absolutely loved Ontario in the summer - what a beautiful province! All the lakes, beautiful scenery, Niagara Falls, wineries - I could go on and on.
Beaner:-D

Hi again Al!
I just ordered the film from NFB - thanks very much for the link. I'm looking forward to watching it (scared too!) - I think it will be good for my kids to see too. And yes, we'll have a box or two of kleenex - seem to go through them a lot anyway.
Beaner

I could find it I'll call and see what they say. There is a support quide button on the right where the details are that is used for a group discussion that tells you what it is about so you can have more of idea.

How often do husband and wife both have it? That seems rare indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back