Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
oz
State
oz
City
RURAL
Do you want a COSMIC connection with the forum family? Are you feeling "wolfish" and need to HOWL? Please RSVP and join us for our WORLD HOWL AT THE MOON EVENT to be held every month during the full moon at 9 PM wherever you reside. This event is completely free and clothing is optional ;-) 29 March 2010 is the first full moon for this event. Barry has graciously given us this link so that we can plan each month.:grin:
March 29 by my calendar.

Peter may need these :cool:!

These are the forum howlers so far-pepsiman, melody, handinhand, JennB329, Barry, Peter, Cris, and of course me and the monks! Anyone else want to join in? Maybe we could have a HOWL for a CURE! :grin:

I have also included some background on "howling" and some sound clips for practice!
HAPPY HOWLING!
Kay Marie and the Smokin' Flying HOWLER MONKEY'S
PS I don't think we are in Kansas anymore....

What's in a Howl? NOVA Online | Wild Wolves | What's in a Howl
by Fred H. Harrington
Professor of Ethology
Mount Saint Vincent University, Nova Scotia

Ask anyone about wolf vocalizations and the howl invariably springs to mind. Even though wolves bark, woof, whine, whimper, yelp, growl, snarl and moan a lot more often than they howl, it is howling that defines the wolf, and fascinates us. So why do wolves howl?

The center of a wolf's universe is its pack, and howling is the glue that keeps the pack together. Some have speculated that howling strengthens the social bonds between packmates; the pack that howls together, stays together. That may be so, but chorus howls can also end with nasty quarrels between packmates. Some members, usually the lowest-ranking, may actually be "punished" for joining in the chorus. Whether howling together actually strengthens social bonds, or just reaffirms them, is unknown.

We do know, however, that howling keeps packmates together, physically. Because wolves range over vast areas to find food, they are often separated from one another. Of all their calls, howling is the only one that works over great distances. Its low pitch and long duration are well suited for transmission in forest and across tundra, and unique features of each individual's howl allow wolves to identify each other. Howling is a long distance contact and reunion call; separate a wolf from its pack, and very soon it will begin howling, and howling, and howling...

NOVA Online | Wild Wolves | What's in a Howl | Lonesome Howl
NOVA Online | Wild Wolves | What's in a Howl | Pup Howl
NOVA Online | Wild Wolves | What's in a Howl | Confrontational Howl
NOVA Online | Wild Wolves | What's in a Howl | Chorus Howl

Have you ever wondered what goes on in the mind of a timber wolf mid-howl? How do they find the strength and stamina to create such a piercing and gut-wrenching cry? Find out how in this article!

Steps
Wait for a clear night with prime moon visiblity.

Find a wide open space - opportune locations include fields, meadows, rolling hills, and/or the privacy of your own backyard.
In said location, crouch on all fours and feel the fierceness welling within you. Remember, you will only be as great a wolf as you allow yourself to be!
As the power rises within you, gather strength from your diaphragm and inhale deeply.
Exhale with force and feeling as you make an oval shape with your mouth.
During exhalation, let out a piercing and mournful cry,(also known as a "howl") keeping your mouth in an oval shape.
Let the howl resonate for seconds, gradually reducing inflection and fading out.
You can tell what a howl means by its pitch and strength. The longer the lasting, the more strength of the emotion. The higher the pitch, the happier the feeling. Quieter sounds mean more bland of an emotion.
Repeat if desired, until all angst is let loose. Once howling has ceased, reflect on your wolf experience,It is better to do this with friends if your personality is like a "pack wolf" but if your a lone wolf..try doing it yourself.
To feel more like a wolf try curving your fingers like claws that are trying to hold on to earth. Lift up your head so it's facing up to the moon. To experience more thrill, try doing this on a high rock or cliff but be careful while doing it.

Tips
Everyone has a wolf inside, just waiting to be freed. Embrace rather than fear this inner wolf.

Wearing darker apparel and aviators will enhance a wolfy mood.
Don't let your friends see you doing this, unless they are embracing their inner wolves as well.
Be true to yourself, do it for the sheer joy of howling.

Warnings
Avoid exhaling too sharply to avoid any sort of whiplash on the downward breath.
If howling too realistically, expect hunters to come after you.
If walking on a main road to or from your wolf location at night, it may be wiser to bring wolf apparel in a separate bag and wear visible night clothing(this includes reflectors, white tee shirts, etc.).

Things You'll Need
A willing heart
A wolf spirit
Dark clothes/aviators

Last edited by a moderator:
This wolf will be there ... I will try my hardest to howl like the wolf I am inside! I will compete with the cyotes that are always around on every full moon... They howl right outside the cabin... I love the sound but my poor little dog hates it.. lol L Just thought of something else? Oh, I wish I had a hot tub... I would stay out all night and howl...lol

A Howling Hot-tub Hour Happening! Great idea Linda and I wish I had one too. I WILL be in hot water if I try to get down on all fours to howl though so I think I will sit in a chair.

If this is to be a monthly event (which I hope it will be) I may have to make it later in the evening in a couple of months cause it doesn't get dark here until 11:30 pm in June!

Count me in, and I plan on practicing tonite. Crazy hectic weekend!

Did you listen to the clips? I can't decide if I am going to do the "lonesome" or the "young pup"! Making my mouth into an oval and howling on exhale OOOOOOOOWWWWWWeeee I am not going to do the wolf pose either rotflmao

FYI I LOVE this line, "The center of a wolf's universe is its pack, and howling is the glue that keeps the pack together. Some have speculated that howling strengthens the social bonds between packmates; the pack that howls together, stays together."

ok great that is our new moto...lol love it.. Barry you can howl anytime you want as long as you just howl..... L

I will be calling on my quite substantial vocal training of years past to bring out the most primally powerful howl. I love being able to be part of this pack...OOOOOOOWWWWWWWWooooooooooohhhheeeeeeeee

Count me in, but keep in mind that following a lunar schedule means i'll often be wearing a kippa: "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYY!"
--Shalom

Sure, I'll howl! Warning though, you might hear me above the others! LOL

Count me in.
I will let you know how it feels as I will have the jump on most of you, and i wont need any :cool:

cheers
Peter

Peter, do Aussies get a full moon before the rest of us? I know 9 pm on March 29 does happen earlier in Australia than in North America but did anyone tell the moon? This is all just too complicated, it makes me want to howl. :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Barry,
You are right, the full moon here is on the 30th for us, Tuesday which is the 29th, i think for you. All too complicated.
So I will Howl on the 30th with the full moon, bit after you guys on the 29th.

And yes it will be a dingo Howl, Tassie devils dont make much of a howl.

cheers
Peter

Well, I just tried to howl, and it did not go to well.

I got down on the floor as suggested
I tried to howl as suggested

Now I am stuck on the floor with drool streaming out of my mouth and it is creating a puddle.

I thought of chucking a moon, but that would only make matters worse.

I think on the 29th , the only howling I will do , will be some under-the-leg noises.

*sigh* I think I may have to bribe Wanda twice. Once to stop her laughing at me and twice to get her to get my butt off of the floor.

Last edited:
This reminds me of college when we used to have a mass "primal scream" a night or two before final exams. It helped! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back