Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Austin
I had a fall today walking up one step. No railing, cement floor and alone. Fortunately, only a sprained wrist and a scrape.
I discovered PALS don't fall like we used to. We just go down. Weak arms no longer help break the fall!

Reminder: Falls are extremely dangerous to PALS.

Thanks for the reminder Marty. Glad you weren’t hurt badly. True, the PALS fall is different and scary for you and anyone witnessing.

Consequences, as we all know, can be devastating

Thanks for the warning. I hope you recover quickly and uneventfully. It’s always a good idea to come up with preventative strategies.

Walking is just a controlled fall, one wrong move and you lose control and down you go.
Al

Glad the damage was no more serious. Thanks for the reminder. I've come to hate steps--even one--without railings or something to hold on to.

Ed

I nearly fell last month. I was walking on the treadmill at my normal speed. I can only last 10 minutes without pain so I just do 10 minutes every morning before breakfast. Something happened to the speed and it went from 3.2 to over 5 quickly. I have no idea how I managed but I got my feet planted on the sides and was able to turn it off with the emergency line. When I use the treadmill, I hang on to the bar for dear life. I wish I could swing my arms but I can't take the risk.

Fortunately, the only times I've fallen since September 2016, were not really falls and I was able to catch myself on walls or land on my bed. These were careless acts on my part that could have been avoided.

Thank you for the reminders. I probably need some kind of medical alert system because I don't always carry my phone and I'm often alone.

You got lucky Marty.....I am always nursing wounds from falling. Just when I start healing, I fall again. I hate falling, it always ruins my day regardless of the significance of the injury.

I have developed a technique for minimizing damage. In many of my falls I have a split second to realize the need to tuck my head and try to land on my side or back to maximize surface hitting the deck. I learned this in Judo training back in the day.

The falls that I hate the most are the ones that happen fast and without warning. Those are when I fall forward and injure my knees and elbows.

Falling is just part of the dynamic for those who have not started using a chair.

Just remember.......Weebles wobbles, but PALS fall down.

Remember to keep the feet on the ground.
The backward fast falls are the worst.

Normally when I fall now, I just melt down in slow motion! Since I am 280#s wife has to use Hoyer lift to get me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back