00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Highland
Hi all,
Question. My left leg has gotten worse and worse to the point that I can no longer lift it. This is okay, I have been dragging it since..got a nice little hobble walk going. BUT, I am noticing that my foot is getting pretty torn up on my toes and the bottom of my foot when I walk bare foot. Not a problem when I wear shoes except that I am always trip over my foot and fall. I counted this morning...I have 6 different bruises on my shin, a large scrape that is going to scar from falling on the pavement, and a couple cuts and brusies on my feet.

Besides the fact that my legs are looking like chicken legs now(I was a dancer with very developed muscular legs) Now my legs looks like a peg leg, I wonder if I should just make an appt. with the dr. to get an assistive device so I can stop falling...foot brace..crutch...wheelchair.

I am in a bit of a pickle with my past as some as you know but I don't see the neurologist till Nov. I switched general doctors but haven't had an appt with this new one yet. Should I just go in with a complaint "I can't walk?" I am sure all the medical records have been passed on but I wonder if I am actually going to have to get to the point where I need to army crawl into the door before someone actually sees I need a something to help me out. :confused: Any help welcome :)

It does sound like you would benefit from an AFO now. It's not a good idea to use one too early as they can cause increased atrophy from lack of use caused by the AFO, but you are way beyond that. Just go for it, November is way too long to wait.

I agee with Aly. You need help now. I had to get my AFO a year before my offical D X because of dropfoot. It really helped me not trip and fall all the time. Which as you know can be very painful and dangerous. A wheelchair while out for long periods would highly advisable to save your strenght.

see your gp,if its the same as over here they can do a referal to orthostosis department for a afo or a referal to adaptions for wheelchair ect..........which is what a neuro would do.

Do make the appointment, and expect the AFOs at least. I think you sound ready for the "Rollator" type walker as well. Meanwhile, how do socks work for you?

You could probably just call your gp or neuro's office and get a referral for the orthotic, but that still will take a while for the approvals and then the custom brace to be made. Mine goes up behind my knee to help support my whole leg, as my knees are weak as well. In the meantime, I found a product online that I bought even before I got my orthotic that I still use for my drop foot around the house when I have shoes on. It cost about $40, and well worth it, but basically it's a couple of shoelaces attached to velcro, and a soft wrap around your ankle. You run the shoelace through the front of your sneaker (nearest the toe area), tie them together, crisscross them and wrap the velcro end around the ankle. I really helps to keep your foot from dropping, and stabilizes it a little bit.

I'll see if I can find the paperwork I had on it... and I did! It's in my email... It's called X-Strap Systems, Dorsi-Strap for Foot Drop. Check out their website and see if you think it will help, I did use it all the time until I got the orthotic made, now I only use it occasionally.

Personally, I think I need to invest in a good pair of kneepads, mine look like they did when I was a tomboy, always scraped up looking!

My insurance needed a "letter of medical necessity" from the prescribing physician in order to process the claim. AFO's really do help with the problem. I was tripping over grout lines in the tile! I'm having trouble walking on inclines with it on and of course since it was my right foot (with the foot drop) had to give up driving in July.

Socks slip off my feet alot..I try not to wear them. Mostly just 'ballet slippers' type shoes and barefoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back