Diagnosis
10/2009
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Peachland
I got in touch with Mayo and when I go down to meet with the speech therapist and neuro I am having my PEG put in. I figured it was best for me to do this now, instead of waiting due to what I had read in most of these posts.

I am aspirating liquids into my lungs several times a day and I know that I might develop pneumonia. My father died from aspiration pneumonia. It is not a pretty sight!

Yall wish me luck!

deborah

Congratulations! I am glad you have decided to do this before you have problems. Good Luck! It is a breeze.

Way to go Deborah. We await your membership to the PEG club.

Do you find you aspirate when you sip ? I do. So , its down the hatch for me, works better.

Glen

I aspirate when I sip, down the hatch...no matter how I try to drink. I even try the duck the head down thing and that doesn't work either.
@$)($%&@)$#&@)( DISEASE! I love sweet tea! I love Dr. Pepper...almost can't drink either one! What is a genteel Southern lady w/o her sweet tea!?

Les is doing fine with his tube now. Just dont eat too much too soon by mouth after the surgery. He had the tube put in last wednesday.

Deborah, Good Luck with your tube, you'll be fine and drinking all kinds of stuff through your tube before you know it.

Am I to understand that you can only put the stuff the doctor gives you down this tube? Are there problems with infection if you put other things down it? LIke Sweet tea or Dr. Pepper?LOL Just kidding! I do want to know what else you can put down it though.

deborah

You are put anything down it, we do. Just make sure it is liquid enough to not clog the tube.

Good luck Deborah, please let me know how it goes ? Linda

Deborah, the sky's the limit on what you put in your tube, as long as it's liquid enough, as Joel pointed out. I understand that booze hits faster through the tube, but haven't tried it. I have had Coke, however ... both to unclog the tube occasionally and for a little caffeine jolt sometimes.

In fact, with my original long tube, I used only gravity feedings, so would pour my Diet Coke into the syringe, sip a little from the syringe for the taste (then spit it out), and enjoy that cold fizz slowly hitting my stomach. There's nothing like a little Coke for breakfast!

You may find that your creative chef's hat stays on while you create new dishes for your "tummy tunnel."

Beth, when you say Coke, you mean Coca Cola, right?

Deborah, I normally only put formula and water in my peg but I do have the occasional beer just to be sociable.

you mean Coca Cola, right?

That, too.

Am I to understand that you can only put the stuff the doctor gives you down this tube? Are there problems with infection if you put other things down it? LIke Sweet tea or Dr. Pepper?LOL Just kidding! I do want to know what else you can put down it though.

deborah

Hi Deborah,

No problems with infection unless you make a big batch in the blender and pour it all over your body , hoping it will get sucked in somewhere.

I am still eating through the pie hole , but have experimented with soups , coke , (the liquid kind), Pepto Bismol and liquid medicines. So far , everything I have attempted has worked.

Glen

I guess that answers my questions. But, I can't figure out why you would want to put anything in the "pie hole" that you couldn't taste. that is they whole fun of eating! Taste! I am having a hard time thinking about not being able to eat at all!

deborah

I figure that everything I may eat in the future will taste like Jack Daniels . Or Amaretto . Or Creme de Menthe .

Real food in the peg and a few drops on the tongue.

Regarding your PEG , I have to say those four words that a man never wants to hear.

"Is it in yet ?"

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back