Diagnosis
10/2009
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Peachland
I have been sent an email about a book that everyone wants me to get and to follow...ERIC IS WINNING. Is this book on the up and up and will it do me any good? I don't want to spend this money and do all that he says if it won't do me any good. I know that the people that love me are just wanting to help me, but I want to do what is right.

Did he have bulbar? Did he "really" have ALS? I am depending on yall to help me!

deborah

Hi Deborah,

My mom and I fell for this book. We were overjoyed that we had found a way to slow my father's progression of ALS and we both read the book cover to cover. If someone gives you the book, you can judge for yourself. There is some common sense advice that's useful but nothing Earth-shattering.

Under the guidance of a homeopath, my dad followed an intense regime very very similar to Eric's consisting of vitamins, supplements, etc. My mom made the smoothies that Eric describes and my dad took clay foot baths etc etc etc... it cost between $1500 and $2000 per month to stay on this regime! Needless to say it did nothing for my dad. He continued to progress until finally he decided to stop taking the dozens of pills and vitamins that he could no longer swallow on his own anyway. His progression has neither slowed down nor sped up since he stopped the costly regime.

What helped him most, was gaining back the weight that he had lost before he got his PEG. It is so important to maintain a healthy weight and I wouldn't advise against getting as much healthy fat in you as possible. Like fish, avocado, etc (being a chef, I'm sure you know all about healthy fats.) I have heard that gluten is not good for people with ALS.

Other than that, Eric Edney advises that keeping a positive mental attitude is important. Duh! It's just common sense. You don't need to invest tons of cash to know that! And I agree my father's attitude towards his ALS has gotten him very far, that and his will to fight it, his commitment to greet each day with a smile, his gratitude towards my mom and just being a loving dad. He is an inspiration to us all.

If you enter Eric Edney's name into the search feature on this forum, you will get tons of first-hand opinions.

All the best to you, Deborah!
Rosella

I hope this helps.

Thanks Rosella...I needed to hear whether or not to buy this book. I know that my friends are just trying to help me with anything they can. We have one friend we call "Dr. Pat", well she thinks you can cure anything with Apple Cider vinegar with the "mother"! But she has inundated me with emails and paper with all these "cures". I finally told her that she could save her paper and her ink! If it is soemthing that will cure ALS, we would know about it already! Even if it was a "homeopathic" cure.

Thanks again
deborah

Deborah ... I think many newly diagnosed PALS are bombarded with this book by well-meaning friends or relatives. I was, too, and the insistence of one relative that I get the book and start the program immediately almost drove me up the wall.

I have heard ... Internet gossip, so take it for what it's worth (nothing) ... that Eric is now in Germany trying unproven stem cell treatments. Apparently his slow progression has speeded up. Or maybe he's researching his next book. If this is true, I'm sure it's the profits from "Eric Is Winning" that are funding his hail-Mary treatments now.

I wish all PALS well, including Eric if he does have ALS, but as our super moderator Al says, what Eric apparently won was a little cash cow in selling that book.

Progression rates vary tremendously. I suspect that Eric has turned a naturally slow progression into a a nice income stream.

Re: Good title

I think the title of the book is ironically candid. Eric is indeed winning but no mention of the reader who buys it.

'nuff said...I won't be getting the book or starting the program...not that I was intending to do it anyway. I can't afford to do all that stuff! I have already started looking for Hoverround chairs and such. Don't know when I'll need them, but doesn't hurt to look. I found one, nearly new, for $3000. Paid $6000 for it. I know the person who had it. Does that sound like a good price?
deborah

I'm going to write a book and entitle it, "Kim Is Beating Eric".

Zaphoon

you should be able to get a loaner power chair from the ALS loan closet. Also are you going to be getting SSDI. Medicare will cover a chair, and the MDA association will help cover the deductible. Lori.

Zaph,
would you get a free set of steak knives with it? :-D:-D

deborah,
I know every one is just trying to help, i know my friends were when they suggested cures etc but as others have said there just isnt one now.

If there was one it would be all over the internet in a flash and we would be fighting in the line up to get it. (running each other over in our chairs, hitting each other with our sticks and ebay would be swamped with second hand equipment.:grin::grin:

Cheers and keep smiling :)

Peter

Thanks for telling me about all this. And yes, the friends are just trying to help me! I know that...but it does get kind of aggravating. One called from Indiana last night and asked me about getting the stem cell treatments. She wanted me to go where ever it took to get them. I explained that they were not working right now. Even in rats!

Thanks again
deborah

my wife has been following the books recommendations for a couple of months now. Dental work removed, organic foods, distilled water, etc. It has had no noticeable effects on slowing her progression. I agree with other posts though, it is expensive.

Hi Deborah, I did the same thing when first diagnosed. We just want to try anything that might help stop or slow this disease down.. I went to my first Nero Dr. appointment with all kinds of stuff that I read or heard and went through all of them with him. He was very kind and listened to all. Then He explained that if something was out there,he would be the first to know and have all of us on it. It took me a while to stop looking for that one thing that would stop this . Seond stage... trying to settle down and accept the fact that I need to live each day and enjoy it to the fullest.... I try to do everything I have been doing? Much slower pace.. Thats ok though. Making every day count and making a lot of memories with friends and family.... Hugs Deborah,this is the hardest to go through the first couple of months... Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back