Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
SGP
State
Singapore
City
Singapore
Hi, I just got my diagnosis this week, thought I'll update all of you since I've postd here before. I have been diagnosed with MND. Though at this point the neuro still isn't quite sure whether mine's ALS/PLS as I seem to have symptoms overlapping. Thanks to all of you who helped when I had questions, and Wright, for helping to dissect my emg reports. =)

From my understanding the only way to diagnose PLS is to wait and monitor the rate of progression. PLS is significantly slower than ALS.

ok what is pls please

PLS - Primary Lateral Sclerosis

Pronunciation: primary lat-er-al scle-ro-sis

What is Primary Lateral Sclerosis?
Primary Lateral Sclerosis is a progressive neuromuscular disease.

Primary lateral sclerosis is thought to be sporadic, however, there are familial forms of PLS that are hereditary, although rare. PLS is the name for a rare group of neurodegenerative disorders and is grouped under motor neuron disease.

Neurodegenerative disorders are caused by the degeneration of the upper motor neurons in the spinal cord and brain. People with PLS have less control of their voluntary muscles, including increased spasticity and weakness of voluntary muscles. PLS, while debilitating, is not normally fatal.

For more information about PLS refer to our general ALS and MND terms section, specifically this page: What is primary lateral sclerosis?

thanks Joel. I'll ask my neuro about that when I see him tuesday. =)

Hello Connie,

I am sorry to hear your news. I remember your original posts. I hope it is PLS, not ALS (how weird to say things like that, but you know what I mean).

Lydia

Thanks Lydia, am also hoping for the best. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back