Not open for further replies.

Laurie H.

Country
US
State
WI
City
Platteville
I am a 46 year old female. In December of 2008, I was diagnosed with chronic hives and angioedema (facial swelling). Bloodwork showed that I had a chronic urticaria index of "greater than 50." Normal CUI is 0 to 10. Allergist said that this result showed likelihood of autoimmune disease, not food or environmental allergy. In Spring of 2009, I became extremely ill. Lost 10 pounds in two weeks. Bedridden. Extremely weak and fatigued. Had difficult time breathing. Breathing actually stopped at times. Had difficult time holding up my head or walking. Got very weak and knees would lock when in hot shower. After a few weeks, I slowly began to improve but developed different symptoms. Tingling in feet and legs and hands. Now, in addition to this, also experience muscle twitches and tiny spasms throughout body (feet, legs, torso, back, arms, etc.). I have sustained clonus in both ankles. I also have hyperreflexia (3 to +4). I also have burning feeling in my lungs. I am concerned about possibly having ALS. Can anyone provide me with feedback?

Have you been checked for CIDP?

This doesn't sound anything like the onset of ALS.

What did the doctor say this spring when you were so ill? Your description of your spring illness sounds a little like a bout of pneumonia I once had, but in your case, it seems connected to these ongoing symptoms.

Good luck finding an answer soon. I'm no doctor, but I think you can cross ALS off your list of worries.

What tests have you had? Did you have an EMG? Have you been to a rhuematoligist?
It doesn't sound like ALS.

Hi Laurie,
Have they considered Guillain-Barre? Or as Miss91 said CIDP. Both can occur following a major infection.
Laurel

I would check into being tested for Myasthenia Gravis.

what is cipd please ?

What is CIDP? Is it Chronic Inflammatory Pulmonary Disease?

I would check into being tested for Myasthenia Gravis.

What are symptoms of Myasthenia Gravis?

I am still new to this, so am not sure how to ask people questions when they respond to my postings. Can anyone help me?

Hi Laurie,

you can get a lot of useful information about some of these illnesses, such as myasthenia gravis, online, but I would suggest you only go to a reputable site of medical information, such as the Web site for the Mayo Clinic.

Good luck,

Sandra

thank you, i will look into that one

The extreme fatigue that came on you suddenly is a symptom of MG, so are the breathing problems. When an MG patient stops breathing and has to be hospitalized and intubated, it is considered a "Crisis". I have the muscle spasms and twitches also. Last week was a very stressful week for me and then last weekend I had difficulty breathing, like someone was sitting on my chest. I didn't have to be hospitalized, but it was the worst breathing episode I had experienced. My main symptoms are swallowing difficulties and slurred speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back