Diagnosis
10/2005
Country
US
State
IA
City
Elk Horn
My husband has ALS and I am always looking for new research findings. Thought this looked promising and wanted to share it.

Julie

Sorry Julie but that link didn't work.

AL.

I saw that too. In dogs it only affects their rear legs. I hope they are really going to persue this very soon. It's strange but when I started reading about ALS in my mind I thought it was like DM in dogs. Hopefully something good will come of this very soon.
Christy

I saw that too. In dogs it only affects their rear legs. I hope they are really going to persue this very soon. It's strange but when I started reading about ALS in my mind I thought it was like DM in dogs. Hopefully something good will come of this very soon.
Christy

Hi,

I found this thread by doing some searching for DM, as I have a dog that was diagnosed with this disorder. Unfortunately, it does not just affect dogs' back legs, but progresses to affect their entire body in a similar (nearly identical) progression to ALS throughout the body, it's just that many dog owners would rather have their dog put to sleep while still happy and not struggling painfully.

We've been in contact with some researchers at University of Missouri who work with DM, and we're hoping that our dog will be able to contribute to the research in some way, be it tissue, blood sample, etc. It turns out, the UM researchers are now working together with ALS researchers, which could possibly expedite a breakthrough.

Maybe our dog will be able to help other dogs with DM, as well as humans with ALS. One can hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back