00/0000
Country
US
State
CO
City
Aurora
Hi there,

I've had daily, widespread muscle twitching for the past 5-6 years. I never thought anything about this and thus never even mentioned it to a doctor.

Both of my calf muscles have been twitching more or less constantly for the past year (in addition to random twitches elsewhere in my body throughout the day). I finally mentioned this to my primary care doc 7 months ago, who did a cursory strength test and diagnosed me with BFS. She had no concern whatsoever and did not discuss a referral to a neurologist.

I forgot about this issue for months, despite the ongoing and incessant twitching. Recently, however, I've become concerned and I'm wondering if I really should see a neurologist, or if I should rest assured by my doctor's diagnosis of BFS (I don't want to pester her for a referral if it's not indicated). I should mention that I have no weakness of any kind (I'm a competitive bodybuilder).

Thanks so much for your help.

As we stated in June, there is no reason for you to be here.

As for the notion that your doc did a "cursory strength test," consider that you identify as a competitive bodybuilder with "no weakness of any kind." If your anxiety persists, that would be the issue to ask about.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for your response. I'll take that to heart.

Inflammation and EMG?

Hello,

I have an EMG in a few days in the context of twitching. I have an autoimmune condition that causes pain and inflammation in my hips and sacroiliac joint. I'm currently in a "flare" and dealing with some pain that requires high doses of ibuprofen (this causes no muscle weakness).

I'm wondering if the inflammation will interfere with the EMG (I'm having my legs poked) or if it could cause a misread?

Thanks for your time.

Mod note- merged threads. Please continue posting in your previously opened thread. It helps people see the whole picture when information is kept in one place and easily accessible.

Re: Ibuprophen- Let the person conducting the emg know what meds you are taking, but there is no need to stop taking it. But, no, it will not interfere or produce an altered result.

Again, to a previous thread... now being scheduled for an EMG apparently you did
"pester" (your words) your doctor for a referral to a Neurologist.

Was there an indication to your Neurologist that gave him/her a consideration for an EMG.
Most Neurologists ethically will not schedule an EMG when the patient just
wants peace of mind they don't have ALS... if the initial exam shows no neurological
warrant for one.

Maybe you can share with us what he/she considered from his/her exam to help
us better understand going forward.

Last edited:
I reached out to my PCP to get her thoughts on the increase over the past months to near-constant twitching in my calves. I asked her if she felt a referral to a neurologist was warranted (if not, I would have dropped the issue), but she responded to the question (which was via email) with a referral.

I met with the neurologist who did a more extensive neurological exam. She said "everything looks great" and that she was essentially referring me for an EMG "to put the issue to rest."

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately Al these peace of mind emgs are all too common. We see them here quite a bit. Often as you know they do not reassure

N I hope you will be able to rejoice when, as we all expect, your emg confirms the clinical exam and opinion

I'm hoping so too. Would the inflammation I'm experiencing per the original question interfere at all with the EMG?

No it should not.

Yea Nikki, reflecting on it... things aren't like they used to be.

Neuro appointments, blood work, NCS, EMGs, CTs, MRIs and any
other tests are based with a profit structure. Anything done has mark up.
If the testing equipment used is paid for… it’s $plus $plus.

My new saying... "Nothing stays the same."

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks for your help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back