Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MD
City
Baltimore
I wanted to put some symptoms I've been having up and see if anyone has any thoughts:

Approximately 3 weeks ago I began to have symptoms in which it felt like someone was poking me right in the middle of my back on my spine, and I would get a band of itching across my mid back. It never felt anything I would call PAIN, just an uncomfortable poking feeling more than anything. After about 5 or 6 days of this, I began to notice that my right leg would get a sensation of always being cold, even when taking a hot shower. The first few days it would come and go, and then it was there almost all of the time. This coincided with my right leg feeling what I would describe as a full sensation, sometimes like I thought it should be numb but it wasn't. I also noticed that my right leg felt weaker, and when I would flex my toes they weren't as strong as on the left.

About a week ago, I then began to notice the same sort of cold sensation in my right arm and a feeling of coldness/fullness around my right ear. Several days later I noticed that my right arm felt heavy, my deltoid got tired very easily when I was shaving my head (never had happened before) and my arm just feels weak (especially my 4th and 5th finger).

Well, I went to a primary care doctor and he told me that based on my symptoms I most likely had a pinched nerve of my S1/L5. He felt my back, and then only other exam he did was my patella reflex. My left patella he described as normal, but my right had what he called a minor increased reflex. He told me my big toe felt weak as well. He said this wasn't alarming, and that was the only exam he performed. I had an x-ray and he gave me steroids. The x-ray showed very very small bone spurs on the L5 and S1.

6 days after the initial steroids, I feel no better and NO DIFFERENT. My right leg is still getting noticeably weaker as well as my right arm. I was out in the yard with my daughter, and tried to really kick the soccer ball and felt like my quad would barely fire at the ball. In the last 3 days I have now have tiny muscle twitches all over my calves, upper legs, and arms on both sides. They are non-stop.

My question is this:

Do I have any reason to believe I have ALS? They say there are bone spurs, but was told they are extremely minor and my back issue was above where the S1/L5Vertebrae are located - and as of the last 8 days have no more of the poking feeling in my back for the last week.

Also, what about the hyperflexia in my affected leg? Should the doctor test more reflexes? Should I tell him how I feel and ask for an MRI?

Any help or thoughts would be truly appreciated as I have been non-stop worrying for the last 8-10 days and it feels like every day I get a bit weaker in my affected leg and arm

Hello

These aren't ALS signs. You're having sensory issues--which ALS doesn't cause.

Yes, I'd ask for the spinal MRI. An x-ray is nearly useless for detecting disc problems. You don't state your age, but I was in my mid 20's when my back started to degenerate and blew my first disc at about 23.

Good luck

I am a 36 year old male.

I have had neurological problems undiagnosed for a few years . interestingly after an emg they are now saying its a radiculopathy at L5/S1 I have weakness twitching in both legs and slight atrophy . I have no pain except in the upper back. twitches all over too. Its been a 3 year mystery so i would be surprised if it was als . I was like you extremely scared and wasted a few years worrying. Im not sure this helps but im saying what will be will be. pleae dont waste too much time worrying. I would ask to see a neurologist good luck!

Thanks, I would probably say overall the biggest reason for my stress is the hyperactive patella response along with the fact that I no longer have the back "poking feeling", and that when I did have it it was much higher that where the S1 L5 vertebrae are located.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back