Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
tx
City
houston
Hi,

I am 31/male and have history of anxiety and hypochondria and I did have 2-3 bouts depression about ALS/tumors in the past 10 years.

For the past one week I have this feeling that my right leg is weaker or "wobbly" (as well as it seems to get tired faster). I went to neurologist today and expressed my concern and he did neurological test and said that there is nothing to indicate "upper or lower motor issues" or something like that. My reflexes are good, leg doesn't seem weaker and that I don't have neurological reflexes specific to ALS.

My question is: is it possible for first symptom of ALS to be so tiny that I can _feel_ it in my leg but it doesn't show up on neurological exams or you can't measure that weakness clinically?

Or do ALS symptoms usually manifest themselves firmly and clinically with the feeling of weakness?

Sorry if it is a silly question.

Thank you.

You probably know from your past bouts of health anxiety that seeking this kind of eexternal reassurance is a vicious cycle and nothing we say can help, so I'd ask you how you worked through your last ALS scare. Whatever worked for you then will work for you now, but what you're doing now won't work. I suggest you join a health anxiety forum where you can get more help from others battling the same issue. If you have access to psychiatric services, do utilize them. I also suggest reading up on cognitive behavioral therapy. There are lots of good self-help books out there. Bottom line is, you have to take some real steps to address your anxiety before it consumes your life.

And no, that doesn't sound like ALS. Your clinical exam would have revealed signs of motor neuron dysfunction, even before you'd likely notice changes. Trust your doctors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back